Software with ability to add notes to descendant tree?

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Re: Software with ability to add notes to descendant tree?

Postby BC Wench » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:53 pm

You can add notes to a descendant tree with Family Tree Maker.

When you've got the descendant tree on screen, click on the "Contents" tab at the top, click on "Items to Include in each box", available items box on left hand side, scroll down to and click on occupation, transfer it across to the right hand box, next screen decide how you want options you want, click ok and bingo!
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby belfhist » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:00 pm

Yes that that's exactly what I want. For one tree/database I'm doing for a friend it will be very basic with not a huge number of people and only very short notes (just a few words), so I'd like the option to include the notes on the tree and it won't end up too large. With another tree/database the number of people will be more and the notes longer so ideally I'd like to be able to create a new field, eg called "short note" or "note for tree" and then have the option to include that field on the tree. But it does seem that not many programs have this option. I've had a look at stuff online about the Master Genealogist and it looks as if it would probably do it, I'll download a demo of it at some point.
Thanks for all your help anyway!
belfhist

Postby BC Wench » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:16 pm

On FTM there are lost of items you can add into each box on a descendant tree, some of them being the usual birth, marriage etc. and spouse's father, mother, wills just loads. Obviously, the more you add to a box the bigger the tree gets.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby Antie Em » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:57 pm

Just tried it on Rootsmagic and it does work. Put in all these extra fields to test - baptism, buriel, cremation, marriage and adoption.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby belfhist » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 am

Well now I am confused about what all these programs can or can't do as different people seem to be saying different things.

OK - one last questsion:

I would like to add a field to the individual record and call that field "tree note". I know that with some programs you can create new fields (or perhaps called flags or events), and some programs presumably don't have this facility.

Then I'd like the option to add the contents of that field (but not the label) into the descendant tree, ie into the box or whatever below the name, birth & death dates etc. This way I can have a short note which shows up on the tree saying things like "sculptor" or "lived in Cornwall" "stone Mason" "moved to Australia" etc.

Is this possible with Legacy? Is this possible with Roots Magic?

Thank you very much.
belfhist

Postby Antie Em » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:04 am

In Roots Magic - go into Lists and then Fact Type List and add your Field Note. That will take you into Edit Field Note and you can decide how you want it to look from there. You can tick either or all of Date Field, Place Field and Description Field. Tested it and it works.

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby belfhist » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:43 am

Maggie/Antie Em, thanks for that info. Is it then possible to add that information to the descendant tree (Reports/Charts/Box Charts)? I have Roots Magic Essentials and it doesn't look as if it is possible, it seems that I can only add birth, death, burial, marriage & divorce. Thanks.
belfhist

Postby Antie Em » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:25 am

belfhist wrote:Maggie/Antie Em, thanks for that info. Is it then possible to add that information to the descendant tree (Reports/Charts/Box Charts)? I have Roots Magic Essentials and it doesn't look as if it is possible, it seems that I can only add birth, death, burial, marriage & divorce. Thanks.

How old is your version of Rootsmagic? I bought mine years ago, but every couple of years I add the latest editions. Last year, because I had a new computer, and my old computer had all the old patches, I bought the latest version. I have only ever had the basic pack, because I didn't think I needed the "extras" of the more expensive packs. With the new one I bought, I am notified by e mail of any additions and just download them.

I but from S & N here :http://www.genealogysupplies.com. If you contact them, I'm sure someone will be able to help you.

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby belfhist » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:54 pm

Maggie, I've got Roots Magic Essentials, ver 4, and I downloaded it only a week or so ago. But I've just noticed this must be the US version (I got it from rootsmagic.com) and that there is a UK version on rootsmagic.co.uk, so perhaps the UK version is different.... Do you have the UK version? I wonder what the difference is.

You said:
Antie Em wrote:In Roots Magic - go into Lists and then Fact Type List and add your Field Note. That will take you into Edit Field Note and you can decide how you want it to look from there. You can tick either or all of Date Field, Place Field and Description Field.

Do you meant that it is possible to show this information on the descendant tree/box chart?
belfhist

Postby Antie Em » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:05 pm

belfhist wrote:Maggie, I've got Roots Magic Essentials, ver 4, and I downloaded it only a week or so ago. But I've just noticed this must be the US version (I got it from rootsmagic.com) and that there is a UK version on rootsmagic.co.uk, so perhaps the UK version is different.... Do you have the UK version? I wonder what the difference is.

You said:
Antie Em wrote:In Roots Magic - go into Lists and then Fact Type List and add your Field Note. That will take you into Edit Field Note and you can decide how you want it to look from there. You can tick either or all of Date Field, Place Field and Description Field.

Do you meant that it is possible to show this information on the descendant tree/box chart?

Yes - I road tested it, and it works. I don't know if its us or uk - I always thought there was only one. Have a look on the S & N Website.

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby peterd » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:06 pm

cart you do this in tribal page through list of events you can also custom the event ?

Watterson, William
b. 01 Feb 1883 Darlaston
d. 09 Apr 1916 now Iraq
e. this is my grandad by peterd
[this is my grandad by peterd notes]

e. Christening 21 Feb 1883 St Lawrence
Last edited by peterd on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Antie Em » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:09 pm

peterd wrote:cart you do this in tribal page through list of events you can also custom the event ?

I don't have the full version of TP, so I can't test it there. Wouldn't solely keep my rellies just on TP only though, because it is only web based, so not 100% safe.

Maggie
Antie Em

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:28 am

peterd wrote:cart you do this in tribal page through list of events you can also custom the event ?

Watterson, William
b. 01 Feb 1883 Darlaston
d. 09 Apr 1916 now Iraq
e. this is my grandad by peterd
[this is my grandad by peterd notes]

e. Christening 21 Feb 1883 St Lawrence

Still doesnt show all that on the full family tree ie all the people on tree
It doesnt show the whole tree anyway on TP only one ancestors Family, Ancestors or Descendants.

If you pay you can back up the gedcom on TP though.
Northern Lass

Postby LancashireBoy » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:46 pm

belfhist wrote:Hi and thanks to both of you for your replies. But I'm it doesn't look like the TribalPages website does what I want. Rootsmagic doesn't either as I've already tried the Essential version then emailed the company to ask them more about it. They say "You can't include notes automatically in boxes, but you can hand enter any text into any box after the fact." I don't want to add notes later as this would mean everytime I edit the tree I'd have to re-add the notes. I want to have the option of including the notes (or other fields) on the descendant tree.
Any other suggestions please?
Thanks.

Family tree, allows u to do a smart story, and it updates evry time u add more information. It will start the story automatic or u can do i manually.

LancashireBoy :wink:
[img][img]LancashireBoy[/img][/img]
LancashireBoy

Postby RedKobold » Sat May 21, 2011 8:23 am

Hi,

I've been using TreeDraw http://treedraw.spansoft.org for years to do exactly this. You can either import the notes as part of your GEDCOM file or add them into TreeDraw.
RedKobold

Previous

Return to Software