Programmes

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Programmes

Postby danskitt » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:02 pm

I have just started to put my paper notes onto digital and started with the genes reunited software, I then joined ancestry and loaded the gedcom file onto that but have found that loading the file between the two starts putting information in the wrong places. I used this software as it auto links any other people etc with the same tree. I find the genesreunited looks better and is a bit easier to use but I find the ancestry one really slow to move through different entries.

Do you think that I should use independent software?
danskitt

Re: Programmes

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Nov 16, 2008 1:38 pm

Have you got the family tree maker software?

I recently loaded a gedcom from genes onto that and one from tribal onto that too.

I would suggest you use that software on the family tree maker and have your trees on genes and ancestry and maybe tribal pages too!
The gedcom you have can be loaded onto other sites.

I havent had a problem with the genes to the family tree one and from the tribal to the family tree one
I am waiting for my ancestry tree to be shown so hopefully that has loaded ok it takes a few weeks for a gedcom to be sorted on ancestry or so they tell me.

not sure that helps with your query though.... :?
Just thought I would tell you what I have found :wink:

my suggestion is use family tree maker as your main "bible"
Northern Lass

Postby danskitt » Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:39 pm

thanks northern lass i will investigate
danskitt

Postby marie » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:29 pm

PAF5 - a free download from familysearch.org is nearly universal in its ability to load and accept gedcoms to and fram websites and other programs
Legacy - which also has a free download version, Prodigy Software - has some really nice picture handling capabilities
I, myself, use Roots Magic (though I have also installed versions of the others for occasional specific purposes). I have the purchased version but there is a free download. I find it is superb for handling large amounts of data and has an excellent merge function, which I really need.
All of these can be acquired through a free download and should serve your purpose
Marie (GOONS 5318)
Bringing the world together, one surname at a time
http://pepler.tribalpages.com
http://cranberry.tribalpages.com
marie

Return to Software