Lost Cousins

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Lost Cousins

Postby amy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:08 pm

I am just curious how many forum members are using lostcousins to help them find distantly related living cousins.
For those who dont know, www.lostcousins.com is a free site when you put in census details of anyone you are related to (not just ancestors) from the 1861, 1881 and/or 1911 census british census (and others like USA). If any other members have put in the same person then it notifies you and you can then buy a subscription to the site (which I dont think is very expensive although I havent done it), and then make contact with the person through the site so it is still confidential until you want to give them your personal info. Every 6 months or so they let people make contact with matches for free and I have just waited for those in the past.

From the site:
"LostCousins is the ONLY family history website able to match you with cousins researching the same ancestors
AUTOMATICALLY, ACCURATELY & CONFIDENTIALLY
Simply enter the relatives on your family tree who were recorded on selected US, Canadian, British, or Irish Censuses - then click the Search button!
Our automated matching is close to 100% accurate, so nobody else needs to see your information - and when you do find a 'lost cousin', you can be certain you're related!"

Im not trying to sell it! :P Im just curious who else is using it and how successful you have been, aswell as letting other people know it exists.

I personally have found 3 lost cousins who I am in regular email contact with. We have been able to share so much amazing information because in one case our mutual ancestors were brothers with 6 other siblings and we both had information on 2 or 3 different siblings.

Amy from Oz
amy

Re: Lost Cousins

Postby snoopysue » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:58 pm

I hadn't heard of this site before, just tried it with 22 ancestors from at least 4 branches, mainly direct ancestors - no match yet.
Maybe I'll keep adding, but we'll see!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby amy » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:14 pm

Good luck :) the 1881 census has the best chance of returns because that one was the first to be available on the site but it can take a while to get a hit. But you never know, you might get an email in 6 months when someone puts in one of your people :)
amy

Postby Annie » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:03 pm

I have heard of Lost Cousins Amy but never tried it , so perhaps I will and see if I can find any lost cousins. :-)

Annie
Annie

Postby peterd » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:03 pm

ive tried it got no hits
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Since I get more cousins than I can deal with via Ancestry and Genes Reunited I haven't given it a go but I have heard of success stories.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Return to Software