LDS Member Submissions

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

LDS Member Submissions

Postby bobfl » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi everyone,
From time to time when searching on Familyseach.org we see that a particular entry has been submitted by a member of the LDS Church. Now a friend who otherwise is a good researcher and has help me a lot says that such entries mean that the family must be Mormons.
Now I am looking at the rural areas of Lincolnshire where family members do not seem to move more than 5 miles.
Recently she found a Harriet Greenfield b. 1896 in Utah on a LDS member submission but there is no evidence that this is even the same family.
So do LDS members only make submissions about their own families as my friend suggests.
Thanks
bobfl

Re: LDS Member Submissions

Postby dianel » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:24 pm

bobfl wrote:Hi everyone,
From time to time when searching on Familyseach.org we see that a particular entry has been submitted by a member of the LDS Church. Now a friend who otherwise is a good researcher and has help me a lot says that such entries mean that the family must be Mormons.
Now I am looking at the rural areas of Lincolnshire where family members do not seem to move more than 5 miles.
Recently she found a Harriet Greenfield b. 1896 in Utah on a LDS member submission but there is no evidence that this is even the same family.
So do LDS members only make submissions about their own families as my friend suggests.
Thanks

I'm not sure that this is always so. My mother, who is most definitely not a member of any religious organisation, helps out in the local LDS library, because of her interest in family history. She has submitted some stuff. The are surely others who have done so.
Some mistakes are too much fun
to only make once.
dianel

Postby Razzy » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:22 pm

No, I am aware of others, including myself who go to LDS centers due to their volunteers and are open to non members of their church. It is mentioned to me by them that when you find something and at the bottom of the page on the familysearch that the information is contributed either by a member of the church or by someone else.
Also, at times, LDS members agree to help to follow another persons family genealogy who are not members of their church.
As well, genealogists themselves frequent the local libraries of the LDS.
So, When we come across someone elses' research on familysearch, it is good to read at the bottom of that page who contributed the information.
At all times it is prudent to follow up and confirm for oneself that the information is truly correct as we can all make mistakes.
When someone has contributed already, it is nice of them to mention which film they found the information on to back up their research, as it provides a 'cheat sheet' if you will (an honest one) to confirm for ourselves since it is our family after all.
In this way we all help each other, many hands make the work light and we all have time constraints.
Razzy
Razzy

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:26 pm

If the information is user submitted and they have not quoted any sources then be very carefull with it.

I often contact those listed to see if they have any verification.

Quite often they do and you find their entries updated at a later stage.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby gardener » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:56 pm

bobfl wrote:Hi everyone,
Thanks

I think that the submitted entries often form extended trees so that one branch may have become Mormons but the whole family is added as a submitted entry. Also I think that some submitted entries are more general and unconnected. If someone is working on their own family they may transcribed a bunch of entries for the same period or with the same surname. They are not extracted but can be just as reliable as any other 2nd hand source. Then again, some are based on family notes and can be a load of rubbish :-)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to Software