family tree software?

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

family tree software?

Postby Jane » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:20 pm

I purchased a Who Yo you Think You are Family Tree Maker ,new edition and to my horror it stopped working and says its incompatible with Vista. Please anyone can you tell me the best software to buy for vista users as i cannot waste any more money!! Thanks Jane
Jane

Re: family tree software?

Postby peterd » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:54 am

When you buying the software it should state on the box what system it should run on ie vista, xp,me,2000 if vista aint on the box dont buy it, if no operating system on you take your chance, but if the copyright date old i would buy it as chance are it will only to work on an older system, ie copyright would be update with software
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby ellie » Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:49 pm

My boyfriend brought me the family tree maker software 2008. I really like it, easy to use and ideal to plan out details etc.
Ellie
ellie

Postby dudleylad » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:55 pm

Can you transfer info easily from previous family tree makers?
dudleylad

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:22 pm

Do you mean transfer from say Genes to family tree maker?
or Tribal pages to family tree maker?
If so the answer is yes.
I have transferred my tribal and Genes to tree maker and it seems very good.
And you can do the reverse ie from tree maker to whereever via a gedcom.

but I am not a techie ...tetchy yes
so sorry if that didnt answer it.

:oops:
Northern Lass

Postby dudleylad » Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:43 pm

I ment more in the way of I have Family Tree Maker 2006 is it easy enough to transfer to 2008 ie. does it automatically convert
dudleylad

Postby mezentia » Wed May 20, 2009 8:45 am

Jane

You can run your software in compatibility mode under Windows Vista. If the software ran ok under Windows 2000 or Windows XP, it should run OK in compatibility mode under Vista. I've quite a lot of stuff I run this way at home. You need to click on the Start button, then All Programs, and right click on the program to want to run. This will bring up a small window where you need to click on the Properties option. Another window will open where you should see a tab labelled Compatibility. Click on this and then you will be able to select the verion of Windows where the program used to work OK.

If you want something more up to date, then try Family Historian. I currently use V3, although there's a new version just out that includes a lot of improvements asked for by the user group. It copes will with Vista, and my database of 8000 people. You can download trial versions for a free 30 day trial. I've tried many different family history programs, and in my opinion, this one is the best. It's UK-based, and there's a vigorous user group who can answer any questions, no matter how simple (I need that!). Incidentally, it's the program used by the program makers of Who Do You Think You Are, and no, I've no connection with the people who wrote it!

Hope that helps

David
mezentia

Postby ellie » Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:51 pm

dudleylad wrote:Can you transfer info easily from previous family tree makers?

Its the first time I've ever used family tree maker, so I'm not sure. I wouldn't have thought it would be a problem though.
Ellie
ellie

Postby grannie annie » Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:50 am

I have successfully used FTM2006 and 2010 on Vista and XP......

Annette

:-)
grannie annie

Postby corner_shop » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:36 pm

I've been using Cumberland Family Tree since 2003 and will stick with this as it does everything I need (even though its obsolete)
Its a free program at [Link removed by Admin - see comment below] and is available with the compliments of the author who has no time now to support it, there is free access for 28 days then you need to apply the free password which he also supplies in the download. I own also Family Historian 4 but to be honest I use CFT and export to FH as and when I need to. I use CFT as the master. CFT creates a .cft working file but exports to .ged no problem.
CFT has the ability to create books and with my bookbinding skills its just ideal all for free. The final version 3.20 in my opinion isn't as good as 3.14 as it doesn't support witnesses at marriages, so anyway go ahead, download and try out!
corner_shop

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:47 pm

Norton report on that LINK
blocked red-x
Symantec logo

Malicious Web Site Blocked

You attempted to access:

[Link removed by Admin - see comment below]

This is a known malicious web site. It is recommended that you do NOT visit this site. The detailed report explains the security risks on this site.

For your protection, this web site has been blocked. Visit Symantec to learn more about phishing and internet security.

Exit this site

Threat Report
Norton Rating
Norton on Facebook
WARNING
Site Owner? Click here

google.com/site
Summary
•Computer Threats:
•Identity Threats:
•Annoyance factors:

Total threats on this site:

•Community Reviews:

Safeweb Share

Total threats found: 10

Small-whitebg-red Viruses (what's this?)

Threats found: 5
Here is a complete list: (for more information about a specific threat, click on the Threat Name below)
Threat Name: Trojan.Gen
Threat Name: Trojan.ADH
Threat Name: Trojan.Gen

Small-whitebg-red Drive-By Downloads (what's this?)

Threats found: 5
Here is a complete list: (for more information about a specific threat, click on the Threat Name below)
Threat Name: Downloader.Zlob!gen.3
Threat Name: Trojan Horse
Threat Name: Web Attack: Unsafe ActiveX Obj Instantiation
Threat Name: Downloader

Norton Safe Search

Norton Safe Web

for Facebook

Alerts you and your friends of dangerous links
Scan Facebook Wall
Want more Norton?
See our special offers now!
community rating

not yet rated
add your review
anonymous Anonymous

(Sign In or Sign Up)
user reviews (0)
tags

This is a list of keywords that have been tagged to this Web site. Click on a tag to see a list of other Web sites tagged with the same keyword. You need to Sign In to add your own tags.

Click here to view the most popular tags for all sites.

BEWARE :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby admin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:36 pm

I've just fetched and scanned the download in a sandbox container and, unfortunately, it does appear that the author of the software is being a bit slack with security. I'm quite surprised Google haven't picked up on this when they're hosting the file.

To prevent anyone inadvertently downloading anything malicious, I've removed all links in the posts above. We'd recommend avoiding downloading Cumberland Family Tree for the time being.

Technically, it's not a virus as such, but rather spyware, which tends to farm sensitive personal information rather than doing actual damage. Obviously this can often have more serious consequences for the user if they also use online banking, etc.

If anyone did download the file, or is a previous user and is concerned about potential infection, I'd recommend downloading a (free) copy of Malwarebytes, which scans and removes common spyware and malicious infections. I often have to remove malicious content from users systems and use this myself. When you install it, decline the trial for the full version - the free version does the job just as well.

Download link for Malwarebytes:
http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Thanks Rockyfowler for bringing this to our attention.
Dominic
Genealogyforum.co.uk webmaster and administrator
admin
Site Admin

Postby corner_shop » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:59 pm

Using the download link for Malwarebytes and other programs, I have scanned my computer for the mentioned computer attack, I am happy to say that I do not have the suggested virus or malware indicated. Its always wise to be aware of these possible problems I guess! Generally I run clean computers for financal payments and dirty computers for internet browsing, so if I get infected it isn't a big deal.
corner_shop

Postby Kleftiwallah » Thu May 03, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks admin, thanks for looking after us. As a Cumbrian it would have swayed me towards that product. :roll: Cheers, Tony.
Kleftiwallah

Return to Software