Cannot Open Files

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Cannot Open Files

Postby linell » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:39 am

Can anyone please give me any advice as to how to open some files I have saved in 'My Documents' they used to open but have given up on me. They are saved in Windows Fax and Picture Viewer, when I right click, a message says there is 'No Preview Available.' I have tried going into Properties and trying to open them in anothe format but that doesn't work either. Many thanks from Linell.
linell

Re: Cannot Open Files

Postby Maths girl » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:43 pm

Linell

In these situations I consult my daughter and she has e-mailed the following suggestion:

it would help to know what format the files are currently. i think, from what she's said, that they'll be picture files and if so, then it sounds like the windows fax and picture viewer is broken - i think that rather than going into properties and opening them in another format, she needs to right click and select "open with..." i'm not sure what software she has on her computer so i couldnt suggest what to open them with but she could try paint.

if they are documents (eg word) then she should try opening them with word, or wordpad.

hope that helps.

I too hope it helps

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby linell » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:03 am

Thanks Maths Girl and your daughter for the help, will try that. Peter suggested I try downloading the latest version of Adobe Reader, for the picture files, so will try that too. Best Wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby grangers14 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:10 pm

Have you got Irfanview?
I use that for most things I get sent and save. Its a free software
http://www.irfanview.com/main_download_engl.htm

You can send them to me if you like and I can see if I can open them?

Jo :)
grangers14

Return to Software