Choice of Software

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Choice of Software

Postby mde » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:08 pm

Hello:

I have done a huge amount of work on my family history over the last couple of decades and would like to now get it into something presentable to share with members of the family. The most important thing for most people is an attractive pedigree. I have a computer that is Linux (not Windows) based so straight away went for Gramps. I fed in a huge amount of data but then found that their standard format outputs are not the traditional vertical pedigree but rather a left to right chart.I tried to get help regarding other options but they don't even have a forum only an email lists and the people on there were very geeky and uninclined to help a newcomer.

I have my material saved in .ged format and am looking for somewhere to transfer it to. I don't much like the thought of Ancestry as they will be try to use my data to get people to take up subscriptions on their site but I thought it would be the most userfriendly so thought to give it a go. I emailed their support email address and asked if I can use my .ged files but got no response (not the first time this has happened for me with Ancestry!).

I then had a look around and saw there is a platform independent program called Ancestris. I installed this and immediately the interface seemed a bit more friendly than Gramps. However, I was a little offput by the fact that when I wanted to open my .ged files the program could only recognise places on my computer and not the fact I had a hardrive plugged in the USB port. I am on the verge of taking the plunge now with them but does anyone else have other suggestions?

Thanks,

M!
mde

Re: Choice of Software

Postby grangers14 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:20 pm

I use tribal pages. It can be free, does have adverts, or if you have a lot of info and photos etc there is an option to upgrade. It can be set as private and other options too.
https://www.tribalpages.com
grangers14

Re: Choice of Software

Postby mde » Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:42 am

I've decided to go with Ancestris. It seems to work quite nicely on my test. Not as confusing as Gramps. It also have the advantage of being available for Windows and Apple.
mde

Return to Software