Family Tree Maker software

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Family Tree Maker software

Postby BC Wench » Thu Nov 19, 2015 1:32 pm

I've had to have a new computer and have had Windows 7 with my old pc being Windows XP. I've been using Family Tree Maker Version 6 for years and years and years, in fact, the original one was on floppy disks!!, with an upgrade to Version 6 on CD.

As Version 6 won't download on my new pc, I need to have a newer version of Family Tree Maker. Does anybody use Family Tree Maker Deluxe 2014 edition as I'm leaning towards this version.

Any comments greatly received regarding which edition of FTM to use.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Family Tree Maker software

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:56 pm

FTM 14 really recommend this, far better than early versions -lots of info on you tube see if it suits you ,kind regards RF :wave:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby BC Wench » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:48 pm

Hello RF :wave: With your experience that's what I'm going to go for :thumbup: I did have a look on you tube before I posted my message, but you've convinced me. Such a big difference in price though buying it from Ancestry or another retail outlet.

Hope you are keeping well.
BC Wench

Postby rockyfowler » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Not too bad as hope you are, I bought the 2014 Platinum edition now £40 ish on Amazon and they extend your Ancestry Subscription by 6 Months FREE ! Bargain :grin:
Last edited by rockyfowler on Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby BC Wench » Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:25 pm

I've gone for the Deluxe 2014 version for almost £20 which has a 3 month extension.

Thanks again Rocky.
BC Wench

Postby kjiwizard » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:49 pm

Hi

You may see my post re 14 v buying an old computer

I would be pleased to see if you have any trouble with transferring your data

Many thanks

kjiwizard
kjiwizard

Postby BC Wench » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:33 pm

Hello Kelvin, I backed up everything on my old pc including my family tree research, onto an external hard drive, memory stick will/should work the same if there is enough memory on the stick.

Everything on the external hard drive was then uploaded to my new pc. When I put in the old FTM cd I found that it wouldn't open up any of the FTM files. That's when I decided to go for FTM version 2014 which is for Windows 7, Vista and Windows 8 all either 32-bit or 64-bit.

I downloaded FTM 2014 cd reading the instructions, but be careful if you don't want your file(s) going onto Ancestry as there is a tick box if you don't want to do this. I ticked this box as I don't want my files to go onto Ancestry, but you can change this later if you want to.

When FTM was up and running with no files in it I then went into File, Import an Existing Tree, found where the file was located and bingo!! BUT, none of the Notes were imported! If you have hard copies of the notes, you can scan them and put them onto FTM. I haven't tried this because I have my family on Tribalpages anyway where I can copy and paste the info into FTM 2014.

I just wonder, if I had saved the files on the external hard drive under GEDCOM format, then uploaded to FTM whether the Notes would have appeared, I don't know.

I'm still learning how to use FTM and also getting my head around Windows 8, which are both completely different to my old pc and FTM. I'm really pleased with both :grin: Hope this helps.

Many Thanks RF :thumbup:
BC Wench

Postby kjiwizard » Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:03 pm

Hello BC
This is all very interesting and as Ancestry predicted. My problem is my old computer failed completely and I had to get the professionals to rescue my data. Looks like the notes are going to be a problem for me.

Many thanks for coming back to me - Much appreciated

Kelvin
kjiwizard

Postby Frodo » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:16 pm

I've not had any experience of Family Treemaker software but - just a thought - are things about to change again when the use of Windows 10 becomes more widespread - we have it installed and it's not compatible with everything and quite a few software and hardware companies are updating their products as a result
Frodo

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Nov 26, 2015 6:46 pm

we have it installed and it's not compatible with everything and quite a few software and hardware companies are updating their products as a result - Just answered your own question :grin: no worries so far with 10 :thumbup:
rockyfowler

Postby BC Wench » Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:51 pm

Hello Kelvin, Do you know of anybody who has an old pc (my old one was Windows XP) which would accept the old FTM disc that you have and let you transfer your FTM file which you have on your memory stick? If so, you can do a Genealogy Report from the first person in your tree and save it in Word, I can't remember if the extension file is .rtf or .txt. Then you can copy & past all the notes.

I know this sounds a right rigmarole, but at least you'll have the notes. Just a thought.
BC Wench

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:15 am

Bad luck on Tree Maker Finishing soon :( http://blogs.ancestry.com/ancestry/2015 ... 972&o_sch=
rockyfowler

Postby grangers14 » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:45 am

I have just been reading this RF. So many people up in arms about it :shock:
grangers14

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:52 am

An upgrade offer by Roots http://blog.rootsmagic.com/?p=2546
rockyfowler

Postby mumbles » Wed Dec 09, 2015 12:41 pm

I upgraded to 2014 edition as older editions no longer connected with Ancestry.
Now Ancestry are no longer supporting FTM after 2017

This is typical American Company policy of "Planned Obsolescence" a book by Vance Packard who predicted a future where products were produced with a very limited life. The extreme of this was a story about an American Car Factory that had one production line out to the dealers and the other line out to the scrap yard dependent how market fluctuated. Surely it should be illegal to sell software products without a clear warning on front of package as to how long product will be supported.
mumbles

Next

Return to Software