Windows or Linux ?

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Windows or Linux ?

Postby corner_shop » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:25 pm

I use windows XP. Microsoft are discontinuing support starting in Mar2014. I have 3 options
1 Carry on with XP and ignore forthcoming problems
2 Buy a new computer with windows 7 or 8 etc
3 Use Linux, they have various distros and can be very similer to XP
Does anyone on Genealogy forum use a non windows program
The benifit is that its open source and I have an interest in Linux albeit novice
What genealogy programs do Linux users use?
corner_shop

Re: Windows or Linux ?

Postby snoopysue » Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:08 pm

Don't know anything about Linux, but just bourght a new pc with Windows 8. I'm slowly getting used to it, Windows 7 was easier, but there are some good things on Windows 8.
I think we use XP at work, now they'll have to give us a more modern Windows! Especially due to the security issues when there aren't any updates!!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby AndrewA » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:58 pm

If you are having to ask the question, then Linux is not for you. Compatability with software and hardware is getting better, but there are some issues, the last thing you want to do is mess around trying to find a fix to the software you just purchased, or why your scanner is not working.

Stick with Windows for now, I have Windows 7 and prefer that over Windows 8. XP is still ok, but its SLllllooooooooooww and clunky.
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Postby Antie Em » Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:33 am

Why don't you just have Windows 7 or 8 installed on your current PC ?
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby corner_shop » Mon Mar 03, 2014 11:23 am

Well i've put this thread up for a while now and have been thinking what to do. It seems that everybody has no experience of linux or no desire to switch from windows. Thats fine but I wish to avoid the microsoft upgrade treadmill. Linux isn't an easy option as it is wise to gradually move to it. So I shall
1 - Keep all my financial programs, Paypal etc on my vista laptop as I do now, I only use it for payment not browsing online
2 - My printer Is driven by another XP computer, also I do not use it online
3 - I shall keep my XP running but will dual boot with Linux mint and gradually convert with experience and use
Yes I do have 3 computers
ps Linux Voice mag has a Linux Mint distro on this months issue 1
corner_shop

Postby spes123 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 pm

Sorry for the late reply been out of action for a few months.

I have made the switch from XP to Linux mint and have not had too much trouble getting either linux based equivalent program for what I use and have even got MS Office to run on Linux. But have not been able to get any genealogy software to work to my liking so end up booting back into xp for that only (looking at setting up a virtual box to run xp from linux but that is a back burner for now).

Spes
spes123

Postby SRD » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:02 am

The problem with Vista (and the other Windows programmes like Office 2003 for which support is being dropped) as I understand it is that the actual operating system may become vulnerable so any on-line usage can be targeted.

We've upgraded our computers to new ones with 8.1 on them, 8 on it's own takes some getting your head round, they do things differently there, but 8.1 can be run in much the same way as the older versions.

And Linux need upgrading just as much, if not more often, than Windows to keep on top of modern requirements.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to Software