Open Office

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Open Office

Postby snoopysue » Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Anyone used the database program in Open Office? It looks like it may be of use for genealogy, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I'm new to Open Office generally, having always had microsoft's programs before. (Just bought a new PC, so getting to grips with Windows 8!!!)
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Re: Open Office

Postby peterd » Sun Feb 09, 2014 11:02 pm

ive used open office before and is compatible with windows not used it for a while though
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby SRD » Mon Feb 10, 2014 8:05 am

I've not used it but there's no reason why it shouldn't be used. Some, if not most, of the genealogy programmes have the ability to download information to .txt or .csv which can be readily added to databases.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby snoopysue » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:31 pm

SRD wrote:I've not used it but there's no reason why it shouldn't be used. Some, if not most, of the genealogy programmes have the ability to download information to .txt or .csv which can be readily added to databases.

Question is how to go about it??
Their "word" program seems easy enough, but I've never tried databases!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Postby Antie Em » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:00 pm

Depends what you need to use it for I suppose. I just keep all my "families" in Rootsmagic and all my extra marriages, baptisms, buriels etc in Excel.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby SRD » Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:18 am

snoopysue wrote:Question is how to go about it??
Their "word" program seems easy enough, but I've never tried databases!

Databases are usually like large spreadsheets but with fixed areas for data. Family trees can be downloaded as .txt files or as .csv (comma separated values) then loaded onto a database. It would then look like a large grid with columns dedicated to info type, e.g. Forename, Surname, D.o.B. etc. and rows dedicated to individual records e.g. Jim, Smith, 1/1/1900 etc.
You would have to go to 'Help' to find more detail on how to use that particular database.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby AndrewA » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:08 pm

You need to convert the Gedcom file into a database or spreadsheet file. Fortunately there is a nice free application for this, called GEDxlate from GedMagic website. http://www.gedmagic.com/GEDxlate.htm
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Postby snoopysue » Thu Feb 20, 2014 5:19 am

AndrewA wrote:You need to convert the Gedcom file into a database or spreadsheet file. Fortunately there is a nice free application for this, called GEDxlate from GedMagic website. http://www.gedmagic.com/GEDxlate.htm

Thanks Andrew, I give it a go!
Snoopysue

snoopysue

Return to Software