GEDCOM Files

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

GEDCOM Files

Postby JoyBells » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:58 pm

Hi, do Gedcom files copy just the typed data only or should it pick up all the source documents, photos etc. The reason I ask is that I have started to use Ancestry and have been searching and down loading like crazy. This prog is amazing in finding people on other users trees and linking them.

This has lead to a very large and wide tree as I have committed the cardinal sin of adding every link, problem!

Because of my haste I have many duplicated entries, no problem .............. just delete the duplicates :oops: LOL when I did this for the father in law not only did this duplicate vanish but it took all copies of him and his records and photos with him and half the tree attached to him :o

I had made a GEDCOM file to use as a backup but when I uploaded this all I got was very brief info on each entry and no media.

I have been trying to find a way of backing up and or copying my tree as I add things and edit info etc as GEDCOM is very limited, and also I would like to have all my tree data and media on a hard disc back up rather than only on the internet sites, I believe Ancestry's Family Tree Maker could be one answer but I can't see that it will do the backing up or data copying I am looking for without buying the prog.

What about using Ancestry for on line searches and a computer based program held on my PC with a duplicated tree with all the media stuff held on my hard disc? I have tried Legacy 7 and such like but you end up buying additional programmes from them to actually make the thing work.

Any help would be great as I am reluctant to re enter all the wife's relatives, stories, photos and certificate sources if they can so easily be deleted.

Graeme
JoyBells

Re: GEDCOM Files

Postby snoopysue » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:05 pm

You can have more than one tree on ancestry. I have several, you could have one with unchecked data that you keep private.

It's been said before, but it's so true it's worth saying again - don't take the info on ancestry at face value - people copy other trees and don't double check the info. I have written to several who have the wrong "spouse" on their tree, explaining why and giving references as evidence, but few bother to double check things. It only takes one wrong ancestet to lead you up the wrong path.
I only use other people's trees as a possible starting point when none of the other records I've searched come up with a plausible result, and even then I take it with a grain of salt.
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby Northern Lass » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Have a look at that one antie em suggests or
the family tree maker one.

I would use one of those as your main one back it up on the gedcom.
Then you can import your gedcom to other sites like ancestry, genes reunited and tribal pages
to find people that connect.
The Ancestry and genes I think are still free but I think Tribal if you have a certain number of names charges
now for the new trees.

At least if those sites go down you have your gedcom backed up and on a tree on your computer.

As snoopy says check everything all out yourself.

What do others think re advice pls
Northern Lass

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:30 pm

Why not trial some? This one is good http://www.genbox.com/ Best RF :wink:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:52 pm

The 2012 Family Tree Maker allows you to synchronise with your Ancestry Tree.

So you use the software to find duplicates for you and correct them, then synchronise the changes to Ancestry.

I used it to find incorrect spellings of placenames and fix them on Ancestry.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby grangers14 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:34 pm

I have my tree on Ancestry and Tribal pages... I back up Tribal pages and have it on my computer and a memory stick. But its a long time since I added to either. :roll:

I also have files and files of papers and notes. Main ones in 2 binders. One has each family name with certificates included to each male name :roll:

As has been said I also think dont go by other trees you see out there, find it yourself and verify as much as you can. So easy to climb the wrong tree!
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby JoyBells » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:09 pm

Thanks Jo, will have a look at Tribal Pages, perhaps like you use Ancestry to search a basic text only tree and use Tribal to store and present sources, certificates and photos on the PC and a stick :wink: for safety.suppose I have got to add the in laws back into the tree, hay ho! :lol:

Graeme
JoyBells

Postby grangers14 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:16 pm

Be careful if you scan certificates and post them to view because they are copywrite (sorry never know the correct spelling of that!)
grangers14

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Oct 23, 2011 11:55 pm

You can post your certificates. You are not allowed to sell them.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby JoyBells » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:24 am

Thanks for the advice Jo and Mark, soooo.... :roll: if I am on Ancestry and find say a census/certificate/photo entry for my relative can I attach / scan or otherwise grab it :wink: then paste it in my tree as a source, and can I then show anyone else or send a copy of the tree containing the certificate or whatever in it?

I still do not know if GEDCOM files copy all media like photos and sources or do they only copy the text data of your tree to another program?

Graeme
JoyBells

Postby rockyfowler » Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:31 am

“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Uncle_Ben » Mon Oct 24, 2011 3:09 pm

GEDCOM files do not include images or any other sort of attached files.

GEDCOM is simply an agreed format for the interchange of _data_. Search on Wikipedia for details and an example.

Uncle Ben
Uncle_Ben

Postby grangers14 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:41 pm

JoyBells wrote:Thanks for the advice Jo and Mark, soooo.... :roll: if I am on Ancestry and find say a census/certificate/photo entry for my relative can I attach / scan or otherwise grab it :wink: then paste it in my tree as a source, and can I then show anyone else or send a copy of the tree containing the certificate or whatever in it?

I still do not know if GEDCOM files copy all media like photos and sources or do they only copy the text data of your tree to another program?

Graeme

As far as I was aware you can not copy BMD certificates and use a copy on the internet without buying a license and asking to do so first because they are Crown Copyright. Same with Census. But as ancestry allows you to attach them to trees I suppose it may be a way round it?

I cant find the regulation at the moment but a snippet from something else I read

"NO birth, death or marriage certificates for England, Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland, and in the case of Scotland old parish register entries, can be copied onto internet sites, although they can be transcribed. There is no exception to this. However, they can be reproduced in paper family histories with a limited edition of under 100 copies."

I dont really know... :?
grangers14

Postby JoyBells » Mon Oct 24, 2011 4:51 pm

Hi All,
Trust me to touch a soft spot within a couple of days, sorry :oops:

Thanks for all the advice on the forum, time to sort the tree out so head down for a couple of days at least.

Graeme :grin:
JoyBells

Postby grangers14 » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:40 pm

Its good to discuss :grin:
grangers14

Next

Return to Software