Ancestry / Family Tree Maker / MacKiev

Discussion of Genealogy search sites, software, etc.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Postby Forty_Two » Thu Feb 08, 2024 10:47 am

About 15 years back I bought and used Family Tree Maker which back then was a part of Ancestry and included Ancestry search features. I got as far as I could back then and recently decided to get back onto my search. My 2006 version of FTM was ‘out of date’ and unusable so I bought the latest version. I now discover that I paid £25 for nothing! I can look at the tree I created and I can add to that tree and save it as a file – that’s it – that is all it does / all I can do - I feel cheated. I could have done that just as easily in MS Word or Excel. Each time I click on any search button in the software I am asked to pay a subscription to something else - disgraceful !
Forty_Two

Re: Ancestry / Family Tree Maker / MacKiev

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Feb 08, 2024 3:39 pm

“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Feb 09, 2024 7:54 am

moved to gen disc. section. Software section.
Northern Lass

Postby Forty_Two » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:26 am

rockyfowler wrote:Hi you need to upgrade to 19 version to use it properly https://support.mackiev.com/747822-Free ... r-FTM-2019 :idea: Best RF https://www.mackiev.com/offers/ftm2019/ ... edition=uk

Thanks - I upgraded to the latest version just a couple of months ago - I have version 19.
The question I am asking on this forum is - what does this software do, what does it give me (I have asked MacKiev and got a lot of words back that amounted to . . . a lot of words). Does this software do nothing more than enable me to put in my own information to create a nice looking tree in a file format that can only be read by someone with the FTM software - is that it? OR, is there more to is and I can see it / find it?
Forty_Two

Postby rockyfowler » Sat Feb 10, 2024 11:43 am

Hi I use it for the appearance of tree I still use 17 and waiting for their engineers to reconnect it to Ancestry (may never)? :grin: Best RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Forty_Two » Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:32 am

On 30th October 2023 I paid for an upgrade to my earlier version of FTM and received the codes to download and activate FTM 2019. Today I received an email asking me if I would like to buy FTM 2024. Does my purchase made just over 3 months ago not entitle me to free upgrades in the first year of purchase?
Forty_Two

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:52 pm

Wouldn`t bother :roll: all the versions are the same more or less just Glad i got all my tree on board before they pulled the plug :oops: I think it helps the war in Ukraine :idea: FMP is good but Ancestry I think is very good for trees with loads of new features Best RF
rockyfowler

Postby Forty_Two » Fri Feb 16, 2024 8:54 am

I got a reply back from them - no they will not gibe me a free (first year) upgrade. In my life I have bought a lot of software for various jobs and NEVER have I had such a bad/miserley expereince as I have had with MacKiev !!
Forty_Two

Return to Software