Accles & Pollock, Oldbury

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Accles & Pollock, Oldbury

Postby BC Wench » Thu Feb 15, 2024 2:47 pm

My mother-in-law will be celebrating her 100th birthday this year and there are a few thoughts going on at the moment to celebrate this really special day.

When she was 15yrs old she started working at Accles & Pollock as a welder and worked in the welding business until her retirement. Now, when she worked at A & P during World War 2, she has told us many many times that she did some welding there for the Spitfires. Me and hubby have searched on the internet, found quite a lot of info on A & P, but we still can't find any mention of A & P doing any work for these aeroplanes. Hubby has also phoned A & P and explained what we would like to know and they are getting back to us.

Is there anybody out there who can help us out on this please?
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Re: Accles & Pollock, Oldbury

Postby kdwoodie » Thu Feb 15, 2024 3:45 pm

kdwoodie

Postby BC Wench » Mon Feb 19, 2024 3:16 pm

Thank you kdwoody and Jimmy very much for your interesting replies and sorry for not replying sooner.

Ma in law has always said that the welding she did at A & P was for some kind of petrol tank for the Spitfires. Talking to her again this morning, we now think the welding she did for A & P could possibly have been for the seating tubes which the pilots of the Spitfires used and she is possibly confusing this work with the welding she did after the war at a different company.

We are visiting our local Air Museum next week so we are hoping to get more info from them as they are also interested in Ma in law's story.

Will let you know how we get on and thanks again.
BC Wench

Postby mallosa » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:29 pm

BC Wench wrote: Hubby has also phoned A & P and explained what we would like to know and they are getting back to us.

I'm intrigued Barb, have you heard anything yet?

It's a wonderful thing you are doing, hope it all goes well :wink:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby BC Wench » Tue Mar 05, 2024 12:36 pm

Unfortunately, we had to postpone going to the Air Museum last week, but another date will be arranged. There's this bug going around town, you know the sickness & d...... and I think everybody is getting it at the moment, including me and Ken. :lol: but thankfully we had the "all clear" yesterday.

A & P never contacted us :roll:
BC Wench

Postby mallosa » Tue Mar 05, 2024 1:43 pm

That's such a shame Barb! Glad you're over it now :wink:

I can't believe they didn't get back to you, how bad is that?
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Return to General Discussion