birth certificate

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

birth certificate

Postby noseyone » Wed Jan 03, 2024 1:22 pm

Hi, this is my first posting so I hope I am in the right place. I have a problem with a birth certificate, all the relevant columns are filled in correctly except the name and that is blank (all the information regarding this child is GIRL). I thought they might not have name her because she was not expected to live, so I checked for a death for 2 years under GARDNER (the correct spelling) and also GARDENER but to no avail. The event took place in 1931, the parents went on to have a large family so I am at a loss to explain this, I wondered if it were an adoption. Out of the hundreds of Birth and Death certificates I have this one has caused me a lot of head scratching so has anyone got any suggestions please.
noseyone

Re: birth certificate

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:40 pm

moving to gen. discussion.
Northern Lass

Postby BC Wench » Wed Jan 03, 2024 5:56 pm

Firstly, welcome to the forum noseyone.

Is this the birth you have

Birth: Mar Qtr 1931 Reg. Dist. Edmonton 3a 928 (FreeBMD)
Gardner, Female - Mother's Maiden Name: French

and is this her parents marriage?

Marriage: Mar Qtr 1927 Bethnal G. 1c 222
Charles W Gardner & Florence L French

If I am on the right family, this couple are living in Barron Close, Southgate, Middlesex in the 1939 Register. There is no child born 1931 in the household.

I found 5 other children who are possibly the children of Charles & Florence L. Gardner, but I can't put their names on the forum as they may still be alive.

This is the only possible death I can see from 1931-1939

Death: Mar Qtr 1932 Reg. Dist. Edmonton 3a 828
Gardner, Constance A - Age: 0yrs

Just to say, I have a birth certificate of my 2x great grandfather Isaac Belcher which doesn't have his first name on either,
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby noseyone » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:13 pm

Many thanks for your reply, yes you have the correct family. I do not know how I missed t he death of Constance I went through them twice. I will send off for the certificate and see what it reveals, hopefully it will be the right one. As a passing thought, I would have thought that it would have been a legal requirement to have given the name of the new born?
many thanks for taking the trouble to answer my question.
noseyone

Postby BC Wench » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:59 pm

I've just done a google search regarding your question and found this

Parts of your name
A legal name in the U.K. can be made up of —

a first name — or “first names”, or “Christian name”, or “forenames”, or “given name”, or “proper name”
a surname
a title of nobility
There is no law requiring a person to have a surname in the U.K., even if most people do have a surname.

Neither is there any law requiring a person to have a first name. Although all births must be registered, the law does not require a first name to be given. But in practice a person will always have a name, owing to the fact that with our language and culture, all people get “called” a name of some kind.

I wonder if the child was actually baptised?
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby noseyone » Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:02 pm

Most interesting, your Google search turned up some interesting facts regarding Christian names and surnames, thank you for that. I would imagine life will difficult to say the least. I think I should be able to find an entry of baptism in the local parish registers. Thank you again for your help. Bryan
noseyone

Return to General Discussion