Tracing a person - possibly adopted

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Tracing a person - possibly adopted

Postby brookeratheber » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:42 pm

Trying to trace a person associated with the pilot of my uncle, shot down and all killed at Arnhem 23rd September 1944.
The pilot's name was William Baker, and American serving with the Royal Canadian Airforce.
His girlfriend was pregnant at the time of his death, not sure if he knew about his child.
Hi girlfriend was "Peggy" Nettley - now that causes some confusion!
She was born 5th February 1920 as Gladys May (or E) Hammond to Father Richard Thomas Hammond & Mother Hilda Emily Hensley.
Married Mervyn John Nettley in 1939 and was living in Wincanton, Somerset in census
Marriage didn't last and she became girlfriend of William Baker, probably early 1944. Sadly, all crew killed September 1944
Glady's was known all her life as "Peggy". In 1945 she wrote to the Air Ministry for further info on William Baker under her married name of "Peggy" Nettley. Sadly William Baker was dead.
Gladdys / Peggy married Ronald Henry Price Gittoes in 1948.

I can't find any trace of the baby, believed to be a girl, but I am not an expert on geneology.
I have a picture of a young "Peggy" holding a baby, believed to be that of William Baker
William Baker's sister is still alive in America and would love to learn more of her niece.
There is a St Christopher medallion in an Arnhem museum given to William Baker by Peggy - they would be happy to pass this on to the child if she can be found, or to desendants.
A half brother would also be delighted to trace the baby - he wasn't aware he had a half sister.

I can only think the baby must have been adopted? But it would be wonderful to trace her and to tell her what a young hero her father was.
brookeratheber

Re: Tracing a person - possibly adopted

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:39 pm

moved to gen. discussion
Northern Lass

Postby gardener » Tue Apr 25, 2023 3:49 pm

Did the letter to the RAF have an address?

The 1948 marriage was Ledbury district, but perhaps a birth would have been near where the pilot was based. Was that Harwell?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Jimmy » Tue Apr 25, 2023 4:29 pm

Marriages Dec 1939.
Hammond Gladys M. Nettley. Wincanton. 5c 1571.
Nettley Mervyn J. Hammond. Wincanton. 5c. 1571.
Jimmy

Postby gardener » Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:07 pm

If the child was adopted officially then I think any original birth certificate would be sealed wouldn't it?
1944/45 seems to have been the period when they switched from a poorly regulated process to something a bit better. https://reviews.history.ac.uk/review/806 explains the time line a bit, and 1945 is towards the end of the text.
So, if no baby shows up by using the mother's maiden name you are probably stuck :-(
As it was war time and everyone had identity cards, then I should have thought it difficult to lie at the registrar's.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to General Discussion