Marriage and Bride's Maiden Name

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Marriage and Bride's Maiden Name

Postby Robyn » Wed Apr 12, 2023 3:02 pm

James Parkes & Rosanna.jpg
Image of James & Rosanna Parkes Marriage record
James Parkes & Rosanna.jpg (107.92 KiB) Viewed 3709 times
I've requested help before with this marriage but this time I've included an image of the marriage in the hope that someone can see the bride's maiden name more clearly than myself. I've tried them all Gosall, Jovall and even Gobourn. The marriage place was St. Philip's in Birmingham on 17th November 1825. The couple are my third great grandparents and I've hit a brickwall with both of them, that is discovering who their parents were. They had three children who survived infancy. From census records James Parkes was born in Birmingham abt. 1807 and died abt.1866 and Rosannah/Rosanna aka Ann was born between 1800-1805 with birth reference to Wolverley, Wolverhampton and Tettenhall, Staffs. Can anyone help please?
Robyn

Re: Marriage and Bride's Maiden Name

Postby Jimmy » Wed Apr 12, 2023 5:36 pm

I have looked but all I can see is the 1851 census, where they make their mark it looks like Gogall's.

PARKES.jpg
PARKES.jpg (49.74 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
Jimmy

Postby Robyn » Wed Apr 12, 2023 8:10 pm

Hi Jimmy, I think the spelling of this name was lost in the pronunciation. If James and Rosanna didn't know how to read and write I can see how it would have happened. The clergy recording only what he thought was stated at the time. Gogalls doesn't reveal anything in baptism's either and neither does the census records. It is worth sharing anyway. They are on the 1841 in Aston, Nr. Birmingham and she is Ann. In 51 living in Dartmouth Street, Aston as Rozanah and 61 still in Aston and she is Rosanna. Thank you again for your help.
Robyn

Postby gardener » Thu Apr 13, 2023 6:08 pm

Can you find daughter Ann's birth? Does that have Rosanna's maiden name?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Jimmy » Thu Apr 13, 2023 7:16 pm

I have looked but nothing that matches.
Jimmy

Return to General Discussion