Harrisons in Gisburn Forest

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Harrisons in Gisburn Forest

Postby Ashdene » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:53 am

I am looking at my Harrison ancestor line in Gisburn Forest. My G G Grandfather was John Harrison (dob circa 1811) who apparently was the son of Stephen Harrison (1776 to 1857) from Hindley Head Farm in Gisburn Forest. I have John’s marriage certificate to Margaret Hitchin dated 25 April 1840, and death certificate dated 11 May 1870 aged 59yrs. This puts his DOB in 1811. According to research to date (and I refer to “The Harrison’s of Gisburn Forest by Bill Harrison) which has been followed my many others doing their own research, it is assumed that Stephen is John’s father although the details of his birth are very scanty. It appears reasonable as John’s address on marriage is Hindley Head and there are other references to Stephen living at Hindley Head also. However, there is no record of John’s birth. There is a John Harrison who was born in 1811 but his father is James, married to Ellen in 1808. James was a farmer, as was Stephen and John. James does not appear on the 1841 census, but I have noted that a James Harrison and then Ellen Harrison both died in 1818, and I just wonder if there is a link here. I wonder if anyone else has looked at this or could tell me who James was and if he could possibly be related. Or, could anybody advise me where to look next, or am I just barking up the wrong tree?
Ashdene

Re: Harrisons in Gisburn Forest

Postby gardener » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:28 pm

Hi
You say that you have John's marriage certificate. Does it name his father?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Re: Harrisons in Gisburn Forest

Postby Ashdene » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:31 pm

Hi

Yes, I should have said, it does say Stephen but isn't it possible to have said that if he had essentially been with Stephen since he was 7yrs old? I should have also said that close siblings are accounted for on record whereas John isn't
Ashdene

Return to General Discussion