Wedding Cert - "otherwise know as" - Bigamist?

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Wedding Cert - "otherwise know as" - Bigamist?

Postby Devonjeff61 » Wed Sep 22, 2021 10:56 am

Have I found a Bigamist in Harry Dewey? b1881- died 1961?

on the Wedding Certificate of my Relative Mary Ann Oakley (Spinster) to Albert E Jacobs in 6/9/1929, under her name its written "otherwise known as" Mary Ann Dewey.

Mary Ann married Harry Dewey on 24th Oct 1915 - Looking at Harry Dewey's Army records are different to say the least - he was in 4 Army units inc Cycle Corps, Kings own Scottish Borders & Royal Engineers- he says next of kin is his wife Harriet Dewey(married Harry 4/9/1898- died 1957)- he also asked monies to be left to his "Friend" Mary Oakley the date says they have been married a year by then and he had gone awol on the day of the marriage! He was lance corporal but lost this as he went awol on a regular basis. I can not find his death in WW1 but a Harry Dewey dies in Manchester in 1961 and Married again?..

Could Mary Ann have the marriage anulled if she had found out (both women had daughters by him) about him and thats why the marriage cert is marked so?

one other point Mary Ann's daughter Dorothy Mary Olive is a witness at her 2nd Marriage (but only 13yo! is this not allowed? even then did you have to be 18yo?) and her surname is now back to her mothers maiden name Oakley..
Devonjeff61

Re: Wedding Cert - "otherwise know as" - Bigamist?

Postby Hillhurst » Thu Sep 23, 2021 2:47 pm

See RootsChat for same topic this week: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.p ... msg7213788
Hillhurst

Re: Wedding Cert - "otherwise know as" - Bigamist?

Postby Devonjeff61 » Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:01 pm

Does anyone knows about annulments of marriages and where to look for them?
Devonjeff61

Return to General Discussion