Denton birth and parents - assistance please

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Denton birth and parents - assistance please

Postby Longies » Thu Aug 19, 2021 11:07 am

Afternoon all,

I am asking for assistance with a Arthur Wellington DENTON please.

What I have is :
- according to date on gravestone he was born on 14/4/1903
- the gravestone is located in South Africa (in a town called Brits)

The short is that I am looking for his parents and hoped that I could find it via a baptism or birth record. There is a chance that he was born in England, therefore the request in this forum.

Some more background info for what it is worth:
Arthur Wellington DENTON eventually married a Croukamp lady (place of marriage unconfirmed) and they both died in South Africa. Looking a the surname of his wife (Croukamp) my "gut feeling" is that her ancestors were not British, so my guess is that they were married in South Africa. So the chance is that Arthur Wellington DENTON could have been born either in SA or in England or for that matter UK. I could however not find anything on FamilySearch, FreeBMD, FreeReg or the GRO website, showing a birth or baptism with specific names of Arthur Wellington. I understand it is possible that he could have been baptised as for example Arthur, but at this stage I am first looking at the possibilities using his full names.

Arthur Wellington died on 22/10/1975 in SA (according to gravestone) but again to date I could not find a death certificate or notice of death, which in some cases can indicate place of birth or even parents. So no success there as well.

Will appreciate any assistance please.

Kind regards.

Johan
(Pretoria, South Africa)
Longies

Re: Denton birth and parents - assistance please

Postby Hillhurst » Thu Aug 19, 2021 7:23 pm

Hi Johan,

On Family Search, there are three 29 Sept 1890 marriage records (with images) for a William Wellington DENTON (born 1863) to Anna Maria Davina LOUW (born 1869). Marriage location: Rustenburg, Transvaal, South Africa. The record images are in Dutch, though. So I'm unable to read them for additional details. In any case, this couple are worth further investigation, due to the Wellington middle name of the groom.

It appears that WWD died in late 1944 at Klipkop, Brits, Transvaal, South Africa. His Death record (with image) in on FS. Occupation: Algemene Boer. The record image also gives his birthplace and cause of death. I would suggest checking FS to see if there's an Estates File for WWD (1944-1945). If there is a record, it may mention his children's names, etc. That would help confirm if your AWD is his son.

It's important to note the dates coverage in Family Search's Transvaal records below, which may explain why you are unable to locate a 1975 death record for AWD. As well as a possible 1930s (?) marriage record for AWD and his wife (Christina Adriana Croukamp?)

I'm not sure what FS' coverage is like for Transvaal birth/baptism records. FS do have some Dutch Reformed Church records.

South Africa, Transvaal, Civil Death, 1869-1954
Civil registration (marriages, deaths), Transvaal, 1869-1954
Civil registration (deaths), Transvaal, 1890-1916, 1962-1972
South Africa, Transvaal, Civil Marriages, 1870-1930
Estate files, Transvaal, South Africa, 1910-1984
Hillhurst

Postby Hillhurst » Thu Aug 19, 2021 10:05 pm

Update: There is a website on Internet which mentions the Denton family. It indicates that Arthur Wellington Denton is, indeed, the son of William Wellington Denton.
However, it does not list a DoB for AWD. Possibly because the birth records are not online. Arthur is one of 12 children born to WWD and his wife Anna Louw.

WWD's birth details:

4 June 1863 at Mount Pleasant, Albany, Eastern Cape, South Africa

WWD's parents are:

Henry Senior Denton, born 1827 in Port Alfred, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Maria Bartlett, born 1836 in St John the Evangelist, Bathurst, Eastern Cape, South Africa

HSD's parents are:

William Senior Denton (1820 Settler), born 1792 in Sheffield, Yorkshire (Army details: 2nd Regiment Life Guards)
Mary Charlton (1820 Settler), born 1791 in Sheffield, Yorkshire

If you need additional details, just let me know. :-)
Hillhurst

Postby Longies » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:10 am

Afternoon Hillhurst,

You are a real star !!!!! Thanks for the feedback and all the info. The fact that WWD was a farmer in the Brits area, is a real strong and nice link, as Arthur Wellington also earned his living in the Brits area. I think after doing a search with "Gurgle" using WWD, I got to the website which you referred to.

Also nice getting your feedback on your experiences wrt records on FS, availability, etc. In my experience some records are not indexed and therefore the "search" function will not return any results. One must actually go through many films and if one does not have a strong lead ito date or place for example, such an exercise sometimes just gets too time confusing if not impossible.

Thanks again.

Johan
Longies

Return to General Discussion