Finding info from the 1700's

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Finding info from the 1700's

Postby Mizztraveller » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:08 am

Using other people's links on Ancestry.com, there's a marriage in the 1700's which completely changes the fortunes of my family! How can I find out more about this marriage? Thomas Powell (Much Dewchurch, Herefordshire) to Elizabeth Spencer (Liverpool), 14th September 1763 (St.Nicholas Church Liverpool).

The records show that their son was born in 1743, some 20 years before their marriage. How can I verify this information?
Mizztraveller

Re: Finding info from the 1700's

Postby gardener » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:34 pm

The 1763 marriage is available on Ancestry and you can see an image of the Bishop's Transcripts and also the Banns record. So obviously it happened.
I would seriously question whether the couple marrying in 1763 were the parents of Thomas Powell born in 1745 - that just seems unlikely.

The Banns entry gives Thomas Powell as a labourer and Elizabeth Spencer as a widow, both of this parish at the time of the marriage.

Your family is the one in Much Dewchurch? Do you have any reason to think that Thomas Snr. went to Liverpool?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby Mizztraveller » Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:35 pm

gardener wrote:The 1763 marriage is available on Ancestry and you can see an image of the Bishop's Transcripts and also the Banns record. So obviously it happened.
I would seriously question whether the couple marrying in 1763 were the parents of Thomas Powell born in 1745 - that just seems unlikely.

The Banns entry gives Thomas Powell as a labourer and Elizabeth Spencer as a widow, both of this parish at the time of the marriage.

Your family is the one in Much Dewchurch? Do you have any reason to think that Thomas Snr. went to Liverpool?

Why do you think it's unlikely that they didn't marry till 20 years after the birth of their son?

This is Elizabeth Spencer's page on my timeline. If it's the same person, she was born in Liverpool and died in Much Dewchurch. Is it possible to verify that this is the same Elizabeth Spencer/Powell?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 8161/facts
Mizztraveller

Postby gardener » Mon Apr 19, 2021 7:59 pm

Mizztraveller wrote:
Why do you think it's unlikely that they didn't marry till 20 years after the birth of their son?

This is Elizabeth Spencer's page on my timeline. If it's the same person, she was born in Liverpool and died in Much Dewchurch. Is it possible to verify that this is the same Elizabeth Spencer/Powell?

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/ ... 8161/facts

Because for it to work out she would have:

Been born in Liverpool in 1719
Travelled over 100 miles to Much Dewchurch at some point, before or after meeting Thomas Powell
Had son Thomas Powell baptised at Much Dewchurch, father Thomas Powell but not married to him
At some point she married someone else and he died (she is a widow when she marries)
Then she married Thomas Powell, father of her child, in Liverpool in 1763, again 100 miles away
And she returned to Much Dewchurch, again 100 miles, to be buried.

It just doesn't make sense to me.

And if the marriage entry is to be believed, Spencer was not her maiden name, so connecting her to Spencer siblings cannot be correct.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to General Discussion