Missing (modern) birth certificate

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Missing (modern) birth certificate

Postby Acromatic » Sat Apr 03, 2021 8:48 pm

Hi, I’m new to family tree, and although I’m enjoying doing it, the main reason I started is to find out more about my biological father. I’d love to find a picture of him too.

My mum was 17 when I was born, he was 19 and he didn’t accept me, as far as I know he never met me. Less than 6 months after I was born he died in a car crash (with my mums best friend in the car much to my mums surprise apparently). Hence I’m 45 years old and have only just managed to find anything out about him as my mum has never been very forthcoming. I don’t believe his family know about me, so can’t ask them.

Mum has given me his name, where he lived, and the date of his death.

I found his death certificate really easily, and through his address found his parents. I’ve found it quite easy to follow his family back through to 1500’s as his mother seems to have been part of a local family that mostly stayed within a 10 mile radius going back 100’s of years. (Suffolk) His birth place is different though (according to his death certificate) being in Southampton.

I can’t seem to find his birth certificate anywhere. His mum was about 15 when he was born, and didn’t marry his ‘father’ for another 7 years so I’m not sure he actually is the father, and so I’ve searched with her maiden name too. He seems to have a sister that’s a few years younger but I can’t pick her birth certificate up either. (both born before the marriage).

I’d love some help. Thanks
Acromatic

Re: Missing (modern) birth certificate

Postby gardener » Sun Apr 04, 2021 9:50 pm

Hi!
If you have his death certificate then you probably know when he was born? You can search here https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... /Login.asp
You need to register to search on there, but it is free unless you decide to buy a certificate.
You could try searching with just his surname and the year if you know it). I don't know the name of your father, but sometimes first names are different, and the birthplace might not be where you expect it to be, for some reason. So it is worth trying a "wide" search to see what comes up. Hope that helps.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to General Discussion