Trying to find out about MAFF civil servants in 1960s

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Trying to find out about MAFF civil servants in 1960s

Postby davidrichards27 » Mon Mar 08, 2021 8:04 pm

Hi all,
This is my second post on the forum and I am really hoping that someone might be able to help me find my late parents work history in the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food in London in the 1960s
I am a bit stuck as the Civil Service have told me that because both my parents are dead, they cannot get permission to release their records? ??!!

So, here I go, my father's name was Geoffrey David Richards, he was born in 1944, my mother was Florescent Elizabeth Richards and born in 1924

The only other thing I know is that they were involved in some form of amateur dramatics with the MAFF, something I seem to remember my mother calling the 'Maficas'

I don't know if this is enough for someone to go on, but if anyone can please help me I will be immensely grateful.

Since the start of lockdown, I have been trying to write my own life story and background, and I gave some huge gaps still to fill.

Hope someone might be able to help me?

Many thanks
David
davidrichards27

Re: Trying to find out about MAFF civil servants in 1960s

Postby SRD » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:52 am

Does the department have an inhouse magazine? If so you might try contacting them.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby davidrichards27 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:16 am

Thanks, that's a great idea
davidrichards27

Postby Hillhurst » Sun May 30, 2021 7:22 pm

You'll find a brief advert in the Chelsea News and General Advertiser (22 June 1956 - page 4 - left-hand column):

"Abbey Community Centre, 29 Marsham Street, Westminster....Enjoy the Variety Show by "The Maffickers" (The Ministry of Agriculture's Revue Company)".
No individual performers names are mentioned, though.
Hillhurst

Postby davidrichards27 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:41 am

Thanks a lot for this, do you have a link where I can see and download this?

David
davidrichards27

Postby Hillhurst » Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:55 pm

The newspaper advert can be accessed via a Find My Past subscription (the more expensive sub includes newspaper access).
Or via the British Newspaper Archive website. If you register with the BNA, I think you get 3 free searches. https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

If you're unable to do any of the above, I can send you the advert image if you PM me your email address. (Sorry, I don't know how to attach an external image here).
There really isn't much else mentioned in the small advert. No names or anything that could be useful to you.
Hillhurst

Return to General Discussion