Ridler Edward Orpin

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Ridler Edward Orpin

Postby SRD » Thu May 21, 2020 10:59 am

I've got an interesting conundrum that I can't get my head round (or find the answers to).
FamilySearch has a baptism for Ridler Edward Orpin 18 Jun 1786, St Nicholas, Gloucester. Parents John & Anne.
I have military records for an Edward Orpin, born 1787, Gloucester between 1812 - 1820
I have a marriage 7 October 1822 to Eleanor (Ellen) Cook in St Nicholas, Gloucester. Where he is described as Widower.
I have all I need to know about various children born to Edward & Ellen.
Edward was buried 17 April 1840 in Churchdown, Gloucestershire.

The only record I can find of a previous marriage is in a transcript of a Parish Register index which is to Elizabeth Newbury where he is named Edw' Ridler of Mary@ Grace, City of Glos' but that is dated 24th Feb 1794, when Edward was only 8.

Can anyone find a more suitable marriage for Ridler Edward?
Can anyone suggest who it was that was actually married in 1794?
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: Ridler Edward Orpin

Postby Jimmy » Thu May 21, 2020 3:33 pm

Ancestry, image available.

Edward Ridler Orpin Age: 54.
Birth Date: abt 1761.
Burial Date: 10 Nov 1815.
Burial Place: Birmingham, St Mary, Warwickshire.
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Re: Ridler Edward Orpin

Postby SRD » Fri May 22, 2020 7:13 am

Thanks Jimmy, that disposes of the 1794 marriage, how about the first marriage for Ridler Edward? It must be limited as his military records are acceptance & discharge from the Royal Hospital at Chelsea and I think you have to be single to live there. So the window has to be somewhere between 1802 - 1812 or between 1820 - 1822. I've not been able to find a suitable female death to account for his widowerhood, maybe he served abroad and was married and widowed there. I'll have a delve into the military side.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to General Discussion