Thomas Gamble

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Thomas Gamble

Postby rankpin » Thu May 14, 2020 8:47 pm

I am seeking some help with finding out more about Thomas Gamble, who was my Great-Great Grandfather. He was born around 1858, a date based on the ages he gave in the 1901/1911 Irish census. He married Martha Thompson in 1890, in Finvoy, County Antrim, Ireland and he seemingly lived there all his life. His Father was called Samuel Gamble who lived in nearby Carrowreagh, where he worked as a labourer. Martha died in 1920 and Thomas died in 1943. The will belonging to Thomas stated he had an 'alias' surname, it was 'Gault'. It reads, Gamble otherwise Gault Thomas.

I am having a problem finding more information about his father, Samuel Gamble. There is only one Samuel Gamble who died in the district who would have been old enough to be his Father, and he didnt have any children in his lifetime. A Samuel Gamble did marry a Matilda Cairns in Finvoy in 1848, but they moved to Iowa around 1860, If this is the right Samuel, then surely he wouldnt have left his son in Ireland?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks you.
rankpin

Return to General Discussion