Relatives in the Braintree Union Workhouse, Essex

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Relatives in the Braintree Union Workhouse, Essex

Postby garrypaulbrooks » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:50 pm

I have been researching one of my great-grandparents, Alfred Bryant, b1846 in Braintree, Essex

In the 1851 Census:
- Alfred was listed as a "Lodger", with a lady called Ann Jarvis, a nurse aged 60-64
- Three of Alfred's siblings, Caroline Bryant, Charles Bryant & Walter Bryant were "scholars" in the Braintree Union Workhouse
- The other two, Emma & Arthur, lived with their parents, Spencer & Caroline Bryant

In the 1861 Census, Alfred is in the Braintree Union Workhouse with his brother Arthur. (Ann Jarvis may have died in 1855.)

It sounds like my great-great grandparents had a lot more children than they could afford, but I'd really like to understand more about what was going on here. Is there any way I could examine the Braintree Union Workhouse records? (I coudl travel to Essex if need be, once the lockdown is over)

thanks for any help!
garrypaulbrooks

Re: Relatives in the Braintree Union Workhouse, Essex

Postby Hillhurst » Sun May 30, 2021 6:43 pm

Actually Spencer Bryant doesn't appear with wife Caroline in any census report after 1841. No obvious death record for him either. :?
Caroline's marital status in 1851 and 1861 is still "married" -- but no sign of husband Spencer. This could explain why several Bryant children are in the Braintree Union Workhouse at the time.

I note that children Alfred, Caroline, Walter, and Charles were collectively baptised on 21 March 1849 in Braintree. Some workhouses required that children be baptised before entering the workhouse. Could Spencer have "disappeared" by 1849, thus forcing Caroline to place several of their children in the workhouse?

There is a 26 Oct 1855 baptism for infant Thomas Bryant in Braintree. Parents' names recorded as Stephen Bryant (basket maker) and Caroline. I presume this is the same family, due to the "basket maker" occupation. But is Stephen Bryant a different fellow?
Hillhurst

Return to General Discussion