Longland birth without name

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Re: Longland birth without name

Postby grangers14 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:44 pm

I just searched Eva Elizabeth Rhoda this site came up

https://www.1820settlers.com/genealogy/ ... name=RHODA

Familysearch comes up if you click Eva's name. You have to search through the pages, it is not in order.
grangers14

Postby Longies » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:30 am

Thanks Grangers14 for the link.

The coincidences between
Peter Grieve as husband, Eva Elizabeth Rhoda as wife and child Jenetta Sophia Grieve
vs
Andrew LONGLAND as husband, Eva Elizabeth LONGLAND (nee Rhoda) and (probable child) Janetta LONGLAND is just "too good to be true".

Just trying to think................... maybe Eva Elizabeth Rhoda married Peter Grieve, had a daughter Jenetta/Janetta. Then either got divorced or Peter died and she married Andrew LONGLAND and they had child during 1895 (Louisa Florence). In absence of marriage certificate of Andrew LONGLAND, which to date I could not find, it is only a theory. Why Janetta would then refer to her name as Janetta LONGLAND on her marriage certificate with Gerhard Walbrugh (24 April 1919) (and not Janetta/Jenetta Grieve) would then be a complete mystery.

Or maybe the coincidences are just that - namely coincidences.

We are experiencing very slow Internet speeds at moment due to 2 undersea cables being damaged, so for the next few days searching on FamilySearch will be very slow and frustrating.

The only "positive" is that irrespective of the Eva Elizabeth Rhoda and Janetta mystery, it seems Andrew only had daughters and therefore no influence on the LONGLAND family tree. For me the Million Dollar/Pound question remains who Andrew's father was? Was there another LONGLAND in SA who I did not know about?

I understand that emigration records from UK and passenger lists from UK are "incomplete" or not even available for the 1840's and 1850's? Can you confirm whether I am correct in this?

Thanks in any case for the interest shown, the replies and the interesting thought processes.
Longies

Postby SRD » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:04 am

Might Peter Grieve have changed his name to Andrew Longland?
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Longies » Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:33 am

I would think even though not impossible, I think "highly unlikely or probably not".

A death certificate or death notice of a Peter Grieve is needed to confirm that. Changing from Grieve to Greeve or Grieves - yes. But why from Grieve to LONGLAND and also the name from Peter to Andrew? Not uncommon to change a surname for example Van Wijk to Van Wyk, Both to Botha. But I would be very, very surprised for such a drastic name change.
Longies

Previous

Return to General Discussion