Anyone with Findmypast?

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Anyone with Findmypast?

Postby Katykat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 5:28 pm

Whilst I await access to Kent parish records, can anyone help with this one?
I have George Booker census records which determine he was born in Shoreham, Kent abt 1800. He married Sarah Mercer ( born Otford 1803) in 1822 in Kingsdown Kent. This is the last ancester that I can be certain about, although I Think his parents were Henry Booker & Martha Stear, but without a birth record for George ( or more detail on the marrige record) I cant be sure. I also think Henrys parents were William Booker & Mary Ounsted, but without the link between George & Henry, Im reluctant to input it into my tree. Can anyone find any more details? Thanks in advance
Katykat

Re: Anyone with Findmypast?

Postby Katykat » Sat Jan 04, 2020 8:13 pm

Ive found a George Booker b 1796 in Eynesford, which is a very short distance from Shoreham and is also where George & Sarah were married. It gives his parents names as William and Elizabeth, so that throws doubt on the hints from Familysearch. Im going to explore this more.
Katykat

Postby SRD » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:13 am

There might be a bit of confusion with the place Kingsdown as there is a West Kingsdown fairly close to the Darent Valley, where Eynesford, Otford & Shoreham are, and Kingsdown near Deal on the Kent coast.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Katykat » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:09 pm

SRD wrote:There might be a bit of confusion with the place Kingsdown as there is a West Kingsdown fairly close to the Darent Valley, where Eynesford, Otford & Shoreham are, and Kingsdown near Deal on the Kent coast.

The only details I know for sure is that Family search shows a marriage between George Booker and Sarah Mercer in Kingsdown in 1822 ( but no parish records) On several census's George states his birthplace as Shoreham. His burial took place in Otford. His daughter Sarah ( my GGgrandmother) GRO record states her mothers maiden name was Mercer. Im now considering that Henry Booker and Martha Stear were NOT Georges parents.
Katykat

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Jan 05, 2020 6:33 pm

The Church was St Edmund Kingsdown, due to contractual rights FMP do not allow their site to be used for look ups :cry:
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Katykat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:35 am

rockyfowler wrote:The Church was St Edmund Kingsdown, due to contractual rights FMP do not allow their site to be used for look ups :cry:

Oh, shame. How did you find out it was St Edmund? I have a friend who lives in Dartford, she might be able to go there and check for me.
Katykat

Postby rockyfowler » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:22 am

rockyfowler wrote:The Church was St Edmund Kingsdown, due to contractual rights FMP do not allow their site to be used for look ups :cry:

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... %20Library
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Return to General Discussion