? No marriage record

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

? No marriage record

Postby Katykat » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:17 am

I have Thomas Jones born between 1845-1853 ( different ages on census) in Shropshire, married to Sarah nee Butler born 1851-1853 in Wolverhampton. Their first child Eleanor Ann( & all subsequent children) was born in Warrington in 1873. I have Eleanors birth cert which gives her mothers name as Sarah Jones formerly Butler. I have searched for a marriage record for Thomas aand Sarah, but theres nothing. Ive even combed BMD for every Thomas Jones married between 1871-73 and every Sarah Butler, then cross referenced them all, but got no matches. Nothing on Free Reg either. Can anyone find any record where I cant?
Katykat

Re: ? No marriage record

Postby kdwoodie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:41 am

Marriages Sep 1872   
BUTTLER Sarah  Warrington 8c215  
Clegg Edward  Warrington 8c215  
Jones Thomas  Warrington 8c215  
Robinson Amelia  Warrington 8c215
kdwoodie

Postby Katykat » Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:59 am

Oh, thank you kdwoodie. Was this on BMD?
Katykat

Postby kdwoodie » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:16 pm

Yes but this is Cheshire bmd entry
Cheshire Marriage indexes for the years: 1871 to 1875
JONES Thomas BUTTLER Sarah Warrington, St Paul Warrington C27/7/371
kdwoodie

Postby Katykat » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:44 pm

Got that now . I didnt even know there was a Cheshire bmd. Obviously, ive now also found other local bmds so thanks for that.
Katykat

Postby Katykat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:17 pm

This is a bit odd ( & Im sure I havn"t dreamt this) . I had an email from the forum telling me that there had been a new post in this topic- I think it was from Grangers. I clicked the link and it brought me to the site of St Pauls church in Warrington where there was the record of the marriage of Thomas and Sarah, they were my husbands great great grandparents. Now, I cant find that post, but if I am really not mistaken, Thank you Granger ( or if it was someone else,, I apologise.
As an aside to this, whilst I was scrolling down the page on that link, I came across another entry, same church, same year, for Henry Glover and Rebecca Price- who by coincidence, happen to be MY great grandparents. This entry gave me the information that Henry was a widower and through this, Ive spent a lovely morning discovering his first wife and 8 other children - who are my great grandfathers half siblings. Nobody in my family had any record of this other family, so double thanks for this.
Katykat

Postby kdwoodie » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:27 pm

Hi Katykat,

You didn't dream it I saw it also. I have looked through census records and can find no Sarah Buttler (Butler) with father Charles as that posting listed.
kdwoodie

Postby rockyfowler » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:36 pm

The link https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Warrington/stpaul/index.html

Marriage: 20 Jul 1872 St Paul, Warrington, Lancs.
Thomas Jones - (X), 22, Puddler, Bachelor, Pitt St.
Sarah Buttler - (X), 20, Spinster, Pitt St.
Groom's Father: Thomas Jones, Wheelwright
Bride's Father: Charles Buttler, Miner
Witness: John Hughes, (X); Eleanor Hughes, (X)
Married by Banns by: Moritz Schonberg
Register: Marriages 1869 - 1873, Page 186, Entry 371
Source: Original Parish Register
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Katykat » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:10 pm

There it is. Rockyfowler, not Grangers. Not sure what happened there but thanks again.
I hope Sarahs fathers name of Charles wasnt a mistake ( I have come across similar mistakes) because I originally had Sarahs father as Thomas Butler, along with other siblings. However, in the light of this parish record, I changed it to Charles and deleted all the siblings. Im thinking its not a mistake, but understand that they do happen, not the least because many people couldnt read & write ( as in Thomas & Sarahs case) so they wouldnt know if a mistake had been made. Their own daughters birth certificate gives her name as Cleanor Ann Jones, when in fact it was Eleanor Ann.
Katykat

Postby Katykat » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:57 pm

Well, Ive been doing a LOT of sleuthing and I think Ive solved the problem that I had. Sarahs father was not Charles. It was definately Thomas. However Thomas died in 1867, so he could not have been present at the wedding in 1872. However, Sarah DID have a brother called Charles and he was a miner ( according to the birth record of one of his children). So, Ive altered the record again.
Katykat

Postby Katykat » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:33 pm

Im still stuck with Thomas Jones. On 1881 census his birthdate is est 1853 born in Shropshire. On 1901 census its 1845 in Maidley ( Madeley) Shropshire. On 1911 census its 1845 in Ludlow Shropshire. According to GRO there is a Thomas Jones born in Madeley in 1845, mothers maiden name Lloyd but there is a Thomas Jones b 1845 in Ludlow, , mothers name Bickerton. Im not sure which one to attribute to my Thomas. I cant find a marriage between a Thomas Jones SNR ( his father) and anyone called Lloyd but there is a marriage between Thomas Jones and Ann Bickerton in 1840 but in Madeley, not Ludlow. Ive tried to find the family on 1891 census to see if there could be more information but there is no record. Im on the edge of giving up with this line but just thought id give it one last roll of the dice.
Katykat

Return to General Discussion