Hit a brick wall looking for my great grandad Francis Moses

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Hit a brick wall looking for my great grandad Francis Moses

Postby CarolineS » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:09 pm

Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can help me please? I'm trying to research my family tree but have hot a brick wall once I reach my great grandfather. I belive his name was Francis Moses and he lived in or around Shildon County Durham between 1904 and 1908. He had my grandfather George Moses and a daughter called Amy Moses between 1904 and 1906 to a lady called Hannah Maria Thompson. I cant however find any marriage or census record for them both. In 1900 Hannah Maria was Thompson and lived with her parents. I think he may have passed away between 1906 and 1910 as in the 1910 census I've found a record of an Annie Moses (widowed) living in the area with her children Amy and George. Hannah may have gone by Annie Nd taken his surname. Amy's marriage certificate in later years shows her father as deceased too. I found one death for a Francis Moses in the area between 1906 and 1910 but when I requested the death certificate it said the record number didn't match. I've searched on a few different sites and really want to know more. I know Hannah (Annie) went on to marry and moved to Yorkshire. Her family kept in touch with my father but he doesn't know anything much about his grandad. The last of her children to her second husband (Betty, Elizabeth) died recently age 103 but I was unable to find out anything from her. Can anyone perhaps help or point me in a direction where I may find more info please? Thank you.
CarolineS

Re: Hit a brick wall looking for my great grandad Francis Mo

Postby grangers14 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:00 am

Is this the death entry you were looking at? If it is and you order from the GRO you have to use this information
Freebmd
Deaths Sep 1908
MOSES Francis 59 Darlington 10a 7

also GRO has
MOSES, FRANCIS 59
GRO Reference: 1908 S Quarter in DARLINGTON Volume 10A Page 7

If it is local register office use this

Last Name First Name Register Entry No Year Spouse Options
MOSES Francis 13A 382 1908 Unknown Request

Both the childrens births were registered in Darlington too.
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:54 am

From Durham records Online

Cemetery Registers Darlington 1908 Francis Moses abt 1849 High Forcett Street, Cockerton

It's £1.50 to purchase it.
grangers14

Postby gardener » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:06 pm

The only one I see born around that time is

1861 census
Registration district: Darlington
Sub-registration district: Darlington
ED, institution, or vessel: 28b
Neighbors: View others on page
Household schedule number: 42
Piece: 3683
Folio: 86
Page Number: 8
Household Members:
Name Age
Francis Moses 43
Sarah Moses 40
Sarah Moses 12
Francis Moses 9
Dorothy Moses 7
George Moses 5
Christiana Moses 1

He seems to have enlisted in 1876 but his mother and brother Joseph were still in the Darlington area in 1901 so he could have returned. He seems on the old side for Hannah though, but not impossible. Francis is down as a publican on Amy's marriage certificate, and that doesn't fit very well either :-(
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby lylacmyst » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:44 pm

CarolineS wrote:Hello. I'm wondering if anyone can help me please? I'm trying to research my family tree but have hot a brick wall once I reach my great grandfather. I belive his name was Francis Moses and he lived in or around Shildon County Durham between 1904 and 1908. He had my grandfather George Moses and a daughter called Amy Moses between 1904 and 1906 to a lady called Hannah Maria Thompson. I cant however find any marriage or census record for them both. In 1900 Hannah Maria was Thompson and lived with her parents. I think he may have passed away between 1906 and 1910 as in the 1910 census I've found a record of an Annie Moses (widowed) living in the area with her children Amy and George. Hannah may have gone by Annie Nd taken his surname. Amy's marriage certificate in later years shows her father as deceased too. I found one death for a Francis Moses in the area between 1906 and 1910 but when I requested the death certificate it said the record number didn't match. I've searched on a few different sites and really want to know more. I know Hannah (Annie) went on to marry and moved to Yorkshire. Her family kept in touch with my father but he doesn't know anything much about his grandad. The last of her children to her second husband (Betty, Elizabeth) died recently age 103 but I was unable to find out anything from her. Can anyone perhaps help or point me in a direction where I may find more info please? Thank you.

I wonder if your Moses Family is related to my Moses lot.

My grandmother x5 was a Hannah Moses born 1774 in Staindrop, Durham. Quite a few of them moved to St Helens Auckland area, Auckland St Andrew and Shildon is just on the outskirts of Auckland.
lylacmyst

Return to General Discussion