Workhouse - multiple admissions

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Workhouse - multiple admissions

Postby Tonty » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:33 pm

I'm trying to understand the attached workhouse admission details for Lily Whelan - my great grandmother.

The first admission for her and her 2 sons show her staying for 3 months, but the children being discharged the same day. Does this mean that the workhouse did not accept children?
Attachments
2019-03-27_09-27-10.jpg
2019-03-27_09-27-10.jpg (60.88 KiB) Viewed 1581 times
Tonty

Re: Workhouse - multiple admissions

Postby peterd » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:42 pm

was she a widow or separated may be the father took them ?
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby Tonty » Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:37 pm

Unfortunately he died in 1912.
Tonty

Postby SRD » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:35 am

During WWI the workhouses were under a lot of pressure due to staff volunteering for the war, they were being used to house the sick, both mentally & physically, as well as the poor. There's more info here http://www.workhouses.org.uk/wartime/ I have a distant relative who, in the days before the NHS, died in the workhouse from pneumonia despite being comparatively wealthy, presumably because, during the war, medical treatment and care there was better than in other local facilities which were taken up by treating war wounded.

Looking at the full record it looks to me as if Lily was ill, maybe post-natal depression but it may have been the effects of childbirth, (presumably the last entry indicates her death in the Union). Leonard was only just born but if he and his sister were well enough they may have been taken on by family or fosterers (maybe a wet nurse if her mother wasn't up to it). Of course that's all supposition, there's no proof of it.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby BC Wench » Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:11 pm

SRD's explanation seems very plausible to me.

I would like to point out though, the photograph is from the Religious Creed Register.

Workhouses held various registers, one of them being the Religious Creed Register. There would also have been an Admission & Discharge Register which would obviously include the admission date and the discharge date, with the discharge date stating if that person had actually died in the workhouse or was just discharged. If I remember correctly from the Workhouse registers at Dudley Archives, it would also have included the types of food that the inmates received.

So it all depends if the Admission & Dishcarge Register has survived for Portsmouth.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby gardener » Sat Mar 30, 2019 10:36 am

What is the initial above the discharge date? H? Does that mean something?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby SRD » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:45 am

If it is the case that the Union was taking in more than paupers it may relate as to the reason for admission, possibly Health?
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Tonty » Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:15 pm

Many thanks for this. I will see if the Workhouse registry is available for viewing, it doesn't appear to be available online.
Tonty

Return to General Discussion