How to search Dockyard Records

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

How to search Dockyard Records

Postby philthegill » Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:14 pm

Hi Folks

Following on from my brick wall regarding my Grandfather I've now received his death certificate. I'm posting this as a kind of update for all those who helped and also to try and clarify my thoughts (and if I'm getting things horribly wrong I'd appreciate any guidance)

It has confirmed a number of things:
- where he lived when he died and his second wife (thank you Grangers14 for your help in finding that in the first place)
- he was 68 on 4/7/66 so he was born between 5/7/1897 & 4/7/1898

Deductions:
- Given he was 23 on 14/3/1922 the date of his marriage. His DOB is between 15/3/98 and 4/7/98

New information:
- My father was the informant - so I'm confident this is the right guy!
- His Occupation at death was Skilled Labourer (Naval Dockyard) Retired

So absolute facts I know about William James Wells:
- Born in 1998
- Married in 14/3/1922 and was a "Driver RE" at that time. His spouse was my Grandmother
- Lived on Beacon Hill, Chatham
- Divorced in 1937
- Remarried (haven't found date)
- Died 4/7/1966 as a retired Skilled Labourer from the Naval Dockyard
- Died at Jubilee Terrace, Gillingham
- His Widow at death was Ellen Jessie Wells
- Never got to see England as World Cup Winners!!!

So.....where do I go with this?
I'm trying to trace alleged Maltese ancestry so I need to go back to find the correct parentage of William James Wells.

I'm of a mind to try and track down his employment record at Chatham Dockyard to see if that will tell me anything.

I'm aware of a number of military records in the Royal Engineers records (thank you SRD). I think I will get hold of those and see that they tell me. Based on what I find here I believe I can request his complete Military Record.

Any advice or guidance on these steps would be welcomed!

Phil
philthegill

Re: How to search Dockyard Records

Postby SRD » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:05 am

I think he was born in 1898 not 1998 :wink:
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby philthegill » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:18 am

LOL!!

So that's what I've been doing wrong!

It is so easy to get dates mixed up.
philthegill

Postby grangers14 » Thu Jan 31, 2019 9:54 pm

I have never searched them but I think they are available at the National Archives, or some any way.

What does the first marriage certificate say? Does it say a father and his occupation?

Are witnesses to the marriage family? Who are they?

There is a possible marriage ?? Could the I be miss transcribed and could be J??
Marriages Mar 1948
Hewitt Ellen J Wells Chatham 5b 731
WELLS William I Hewitt Chatham 5b 731

Are you near by to check local family history records? It could also be register office and that wont be held any where other than buying the certificate from the GRO...

Did you order any service records?

I think you are going through it the right way! Going through each bit at a time.
I wouldn't take assumptions as birth dates go. The registration will go in quarters, allowing time for the registration too...
So silly climbing up the wrong tree! :wink: Waste of money, time and frustration!
grangers14

Postby Jimmy » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:20 am

WELLS, William James of 4 Jubliee Terrace, Gillingham, Kent. Died 4 July 1966. Admin London 22 August To Ellen Jessie Wells Widow.
£219.

Who was his first wife, ?
Just trying to do my bit for BCC, bringing families back together.
Jimmy

Postby philthegill » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:28 pm

Thanks Jimmy

WJW's first wife was Hilda Walter, married 14/3/22. At that time he was stated to be Driver RE which I'm assuming is Royal Engineers (there is a barracks not far from where, according to the marriage cert, they were living). I've been able to track Hilda back to her Grandmother Christiana Sanders who was born in 1845. My Dad came from this marriage

WJW's father was stated to be James Wells who was a Farm Labourer.

There is a match to all this of a WJW born in Thingoe, Suffolk with a James Wells as a Father. 1901 Census states Father to be a shepherd so it all kinds of fits but this is a good 100 miles + from where WJW married so I'm trying to track this bit at the moment.

My working hypothesis is that he enlisted for WWI and then ended up in the Royal Engineers based at Brompton Barracks which would all be a nice, neat fit and it also concurs with family anecdotes of relatives in Suffolk (although I didn't take much notice at the time!). This is why I'm trying for the Army Records and another route is the Dockyard Records.

Have to admit I haven't tried to interpret the witnesses names as I'm not sure what that will gain.

Phil
philthegill

Postby grangers14 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:12 pm

Did you find Ellen on 1939 register? Looks like a possible as
Wells (Hewitt) Ellen J 1901 — 1939 1939 Register Dover R.D., Kent, England
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:14 pm

Jimmy wrote:WELLS, William James of 4 Jubliee Terrace, Gillingham, Kent. Died 4 July 1966. Admin London 22 August To Ellen Jessie Wells Widow.
£219.

Who was his first wife, ?

Looks like BC Wench has found his family, its in Brick Walls.
I overlooked the marriage info...
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:15 pm

philthegill wrote:
Have to admit I haven't tried to interpret the witnesses names as I'm not sure what that will gain.

Phil

Witnesses can often be relatives so often helps if you match them up to the family :)
grangers14

Return to General Discussion