Newbie! hints please?!

Information on various topics.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Newbie! hints please?!

Postby Humbert99 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:20 pm

Hi Folks,

Got a bit carried away the last few days and have been trying to trace my patrilineal history in the Scarborough area of Yorkshire.

Other family members have developed the line back to a guy called John married twice once in 1724 and secondly in 1732 in Kirkbymoorside. This is confirmed. We know he was buried there in 1765. There is no mention of his father or birth date in the marriage records. Assuming he was local I thought I'd try baptism s around 1695. I found 3. One was born in York in 1699 but the same name was buried at the same church in 1706. One other had the same birth year and place but different date leaving the final one.

This included a date and his Father's name.

Is this methodology OK? I have tried going back 2 more gens to two candidates who were buried in 68/89.

Also in general how can one be sure of connecting the known person to the correct father?

Thanks awfully.

M
Humbert99

Re: Newbie! hints please?!

Postby SRD » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:54 am

It's Ok, but not conclusive. Some would be happy to accept that as a probable link and carry on with that assumption, others would mark it as a possible link and carry on whilst recognising that it's dubious, others would mark it as a brickwall. It's very much down to how important it is to the researcher to be conclusively accurate.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Re: Newbie! hints please?!

Postby Humbert99 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:32 am

Thank you for the reply. I'm pretty confident, as an amateur it is correct as the Father I found had another son baptise in the same Hamlet a couple of years before and he himself was baptised nearby. The records are about as comprehensive as available I believe so the coincide would be immense if they had the same names born around the same time in the same hamlet! :grin:
Humbert99

Return to Miscellaneous