Finding Death Records

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Finding Death Records

Postby Dig » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:55 pm

Can someone please advise me on what steps I can take to find an elusive death record for one of my relatives. I have searched freeBMD, FamilySearch and Ancestry with no luck.

His details are Emanuel Roberts, Coal Miner, born about 1833 in Netherton. Married to Sarah Roberts nee Morris. The latest record I have for him is a census record from 1881. In the 1891 census his wife is living with their eldest son and is recorded as widowed.
If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
Dig

Re: Finding Death Records

Postby rockyfowler » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:52 pm

Free reg is getting better https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_recor ... &ucf=false

FreeReg Burial entry
Link for reporting error in transcription
Field Value
County Worcestershire
Place (link for place information) Dudley
Church name St Andrew
Register type Unspecified
Register entry number
Burial date 06 Jul 1884
Person age 76
Burial person forename Emmanuel
Burial person surname ROBERTS
Burial person abode Netherton
Relationship
Male relative forename
Female relative forename
Relative surname
Register note
Transcriber notes
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Dig » Sat Apr 15, 2017 7:36 pm

rockyfowler wrote:Free reg is getting better https://www.freereg.org.uk/search_recor ... &ucf=false

FreeReg Burial entry
Link for reporting error in transcription
Field Value
County Worcestershire
Place (link for place information) Dudley
Church name St Andrew
Register type Unspecified
Register entry number
Burial date 06 Jul 1884
Person age 76
Burial person forename Emmanuel
Burial person surname ROBERTS
Burial person abode Netherton
Relationship
Male relative forename
Female relative forename
Relative surname
Register note
Transcriber notes

Thanks for your help but according to the record you have found this person was 76 years old when they died. The person I am looking for would have been in their 40s - 50s. All of the other information seems to add up though.
If you don't know history, then you don't know anything. You are a leaf that doesn't know it is part of a tree.
Dig

Postby linell » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:16 am

If there is only the one Adult Emanuel Roberts on the 1881 Census, the Burial Entry aged 76 is probably a Transcription error. I would order the Death Certificate and see what that says.
linell

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:50 am

“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Dig » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:49 am

rockyfowler wrote:GRO state the same age :? https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/cert ... /Login.asp

Do you think it is a transcription error Rocky? Emanuel doesn't seem like a common name to me. I know that his son and grandson are burried at St Andrews too. If I order a certificate, would it be better if I didn't specify an index number?
Dig

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:42 pm

Best to see at archives Dudley or send for cert as was suggested otherwise we are just guessing? Kind regards RF :wink:
rockyfowler

Return to General Discussion