2nd Adult Baptism?

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

2nd Adult Baptism?

Postby morrwilcox » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:42 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this is in the right section! Moderators: feel free to tell me if not!!

I have a relation, who unfortunately ended up in the workhouse at age 11 along with her two elder brothers.
Her brother's both survived the experience, and one went on to marry. I think she did too, as I think I've found her in the 1891 census.

But my question is regarding her baptism, or should I say, baptisms?

She was born around 1870.

Here is her first baptism:

20th June 1872:
Harriet Jellyman
Parents: Charles + Sarah

And I've come across what could be a second baptism too:

15th April 1887:
Harriet Jellyman
Parents: Charles + Deceased
Inmate of County-Home
['Adult' is written in margin alongside the entry, as well as several others on the same page]

Now, her mother did die between 1871-1881, as that is, I think, why she ended up in the workhouse as her father is unable to cope money-wise.

But why would she have been baptised again? Would it have happened because she was ill, and because it was presumed that she would die?

Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated!!
morrwilcox

Re: 2nd Adult Baptism?

Postby rockyfowler » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:21 am

Christian faith you are baptised most people call it christened at or near birth and baptised at or near adult as in the bible a lot of people find religion later in life :wink: https://www.churchofengland.org/wedding ... ptism.aspx
Last edited by rockyfowler on Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby gardener » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:20 am

For the Church of England there is no difference between a christening and a baptism.

What might have happened in this case is that Harriet did not know if she had been baptised or not. Parishes sometimes went on a christening drive, rounding up as many as possible. If there were other adult baptisms at the same time then I think it is unlikely to have anything to do with her health.

It might have been in connection with confirmation classes. If the home wanted inmates to be confirmed before leaving then they would need to be baptised first, if they had not already been.

Sometimes you see adult baptisms before a wedding, but that is probably not the reason here :-)
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby morrwilcox » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:04 pm

gardener wrote:For the Church of England there is no difference between a christening and a baptism.

What might have happened in this case is that Harriet did not know if she had been baptised or not. Parishes sometimes went on a christening drive, rounding up as many as possible. If there were other adult baptisms at the same time then I think it is unlikely to have anything to do with her health.

It might have been in connection with confirmation classes. If the home wanted inmates to be confirmed before leaving then they would need to be baptised first, if they had not already been.

Sometimes you see adult baptisms before a wedding, but that is probably not the reason here :-)

The possibility that Harriet's second baptism was due to the home wanting confirmation seems most likely as I later found her in the 1891 census in Leicester as a factory worker.

Would it have been possible for the home to have 'set up' a place of work for Harriet, and then have her baptised before she left? Otherwise, I have no idea how she would end up in Leicester!

Thank you for your help!
morrwilcox

Postby gardener » Sun Oct 30, 2016 4:54 pm

Sorry, I have no idea. It is not an obvious route to take is it?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby morrwilcox » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:04 pm

gardener wrote:Sorry, I have no idea. It is not an obvious route to take is it?

Well, if there are any family relations in Leicester, I have yet to find them!

Thank you for all your help!
morrwilcox

Return to General Discussion