Brick walls

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Brick walls

Postby Dickie » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:28 pm

Hi,
I'm hoping for a bit of help really, I've traced my family tree back to 1841 census which shows my ancestor was born in 1801, un fortunately I cannot find his parents to take my research any further. I believe I have found his marriage date (1829) would it be possible to get a copy of his marriage cert? and if so would it still show parents details?
Any help/advice will be gratefully received.
Dickie

Re: Brick walls

Postby grangers14 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:17 am

This area is to show people how and where to search, I will move this over to general discussion so it can be discussed there.
Jo :)
grangers14

Re: Brick walls

Postby BC Wench » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:36 pm

Civil Registration of BMDs (births, marriages and deaths) didn't commence until 1st July 1837 where you can purchase the certificates for these from a Register Office. Before that date you will need to look at Parish Registers in the area where your ancestors were baptised, married or buried. Unfortunately, on the marriages, the father's names or his occupation aren't stated, but witnesses to the marriage may provide a clue.

Have you tried FreeREG http://www.freereg.org.uk/ or Family Search https://familysearch.org/ If you are subscribed to Ancestry or Find My Past they may help as well.

If you want to give us some information on your family, there are lots of people on this site who are willing to give you some help.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived General Discussion