Ellis Worcs or Yorks

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Ellis Worcs or Yorks

Postby jac » Fri Feb 05, 2016 10:09 am

I can't seem to go back any further with..who I believe to be my Ellis's. I have...Wlm Ellis marrying Elizabeth Scott 26 Oct 1794 Oldswinford -Witnesses John Farr + Joseph Wilkins.
son..Wlm Ellis bapt.10 Sept 1797 Oldswinford.

Wlm Ellis (1797) married Sarah Littlewood 6 Nov. 1821 Kingswinford...Have all that I believe to belong to me from this date.

The Littlewoods originated from Yorkshire(Sheffield)

Are the Ellis's also from Yorkshire? as this name appears to be quite common there. The Littlewoods last child was bapt. at Sheffield in 1804..so moved to B.C. after this date.

Ellis's appear to be cordwainers.

Jac
jac

Re: Ellis Worcs or Yorks

Postby linell » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:54 am

There's an Elizabeth Ellis Apprentice Housewife 1730 Old Swinford and a John Ellis Bricklayer and family in a Settlement Record From Stourbridge to Old Swinford 1736. Also some Littlewoods listed. Have you looked for 17th or 18th Century Baptisms on Family Search. Would give you an idea of how many were around in that time frame in and around Old Swinford?

Linell.
linell

Postby jac » Sat Feb 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Linell
Thank you. I know this is on BC.connections...Marriage Wlm Ellis + Elizabeth Scott 26th Oct.1794 Olswinford..could these be the parents of Wlm Ellis bapt.1797.
I keep coming back to these..but still stuck.

Jac
jac

Postby linell » Sat Feb 06, 2016 2:08 pm

I would think so yes, are they the only Ellis couple who Married in the Worcs/Staffs area in that time frame, need a 10 year Search from about 1790? Check Birmingham Warwickshire too, a lot of Black Country Folk Married in Birmingham. If the William and Elizabeth who Married Old Swinford 1794 are the only Ellis's who Married in that area in that time frame, I would presume they are your Ancestors. Kingswinford St Mary's changed it's name to Holy Trinity about 1832 it is the same Church. Will have a dig around and see if I can find anything else on the Ellis or Littlewood family.

Linell.
linell

Postby linell » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:53 pm

I found a brief note on a Dr Hyacinth D'arcy Ellis Medical Officer to Brierley Hill and Ambelcote Urban District Council and House Surgeon at Corbett Hospital, all these places are a mile or so out of Old Swinford. In 1888 he was listed as the Medical Officer for Stourbridge and Kingswinford. There is an Ellis Avenue named after him. Do not know if he connects to you Jac?. But with the Christian name of Hyacinth, had to bring it to your attention! :)

Linell.
linell

Postby jac » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:26 am

Hello Linell

No Hyacinths!! or any other flowers !!
I suppose there comes a time when we have to accept that we have come to that inevitiable brick wall..

Jac
jac

Return to Archived General Discussion