ARC TBCALFRED PRIEST, Died 24th May 1964, Aylton Nr Ledbury.

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, BC Wench

ARC TBCALFRED PRIEST, Died 24th May 1964, Aylton Nr Ledbury.

Postby TumpJack » Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:37 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could help me out on this. My Great Great Uncle, Alfred Priest, died on the 24th May 1964 in a Car Crash in Aylton, Herefordshire and am looking for information regarding this.
He was born in 1935 in Cradley to James Priest Snr. and Elsie Adams. He had a brother, my Great Grandfather, James Priest Jnr. (1924-2013). Growing up he had a hard life, his father used to beat him, his mother and his brother in a drunken rage most days and made him quite a timid and nervous man because of that. He was conscripted into the RAF and after he served his time, he moved to Hereford, where he worked at the Green Dragon Hotel in the 50s and 60s. Whilst living there, he was taken in by a couple by a couple named Herbert and Eleanor Watkins of 6 Kings Arce Halt, Swainshill. Because of his horrible childhood, he grew to call the Watkins', mom and dad. He also was believed to have have a Mental Health problems and possibly Depression. The rumour in the family was that he killed himself when he died and hit a tree in Aylton, whilst driving his car. My Great Granddad passed away two years ago, so I can't ask him anything about Alfred and his daughter, my Nan, doesn't know much.
Also, another fact about him is that his name was Alfred, but went by the name John, whilst living in Hereford. I am looking for news coverage of his death in the newspapers from around that time and because I live in Dudley, Worcester or Hereford archives is a bit of a jaunt for me, as I don't drive yet. So would anyone be kind enough to visit the archives and see what they could find? I would like to know more about him and his life in Hereford and hopefully, the circumstances of his death. I will try and attach the only photographs I have of him to this, as well.

Many Thanks,

Jack Fern

Jack Fern.
TumpJack

Re: ALFRED PRIEST, Died 24th May 1964, Aylton Nr Ledbury.

Postby mallosa » Sun Sep 20, 2015 7:18 pm

Hi Jack, what a sad story :(

If you are still having problems uploading, send me the photo and I'll upload it for you

Send me a private message for details :wink:
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Sep 21, 2015 5:52 am

Hi Tumpjack do we have any of that priest line on Bcc tree?

Do you know when James priest and elsie were born
could see if we have them on Bcc
Northern Lass

Postby TumpJack » Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:46 pm

Hi,

I can tell you James Priest Snr. was born on the 20th May 1902 in Cradley and died in December 1969 at 18 Long Innage, Cradley. Elsie was born on 30th August 1902 at 8 Peartree Street, Old Hill and died 13th July 1963 at Corbett's Hospital, Stourbridge. James Priest Snr. was a Chainmaker by trade.
James Priest Snr's parents were James Priest (1869-1943) and Annie Bannister (1872-1937). Elsie's parents were Alfred Adams (1879-1936) and Emma Siviter (1880-1963).

Hope this was helpful,

Jack Fern
Jack Fern.
TumpJack

Postby peterd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:22 pm

A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby peterd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:24 pm

poss mar

BANNISTER Annie PRIEST James 1889 Cradley Heath, Holy Trinity West Midlands Sandwell Register Office 19/1/247
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

peterd

Postby peterd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:27 pm

1891 ***** Bank, Cradley

James Priest 21 iron worker puddler, old hill
Annie Priest 19 iron chain maker, cradley
Martha Priest 10/12 old hill

1901 bottom of little hill, cradley

James Priest 31 iron chain maker, cradley heath
Annie Priest 29 iron chain maker, old hill
Martha Priest 10 old hill
Sarah Priest 9
Flora Priest 6
Mary Priest 1
rest cradley

1911; Little Hill, Cradley, Cradley Heath

James Priest 41 Chain Maker
Annie Priest 39 Chain Maker (married 21 years, 9 born, 6 living, 3 died) old hill
Annie Priest 19 Chain Maker
Florrie Priest 16 Bucket maker
Mary Priest 11
James Priest 8
Fanny Priest 2
rest cradley

peterd

Postby peterd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:40 pm

poss mar

ADAMS Elsie PRIEST James 1924 Dudley Register Office West Midlands Dudley Register Office DRO/053/170

peterd

Postby peterd » Mon Sep 21, 2015 10:42 pm

kids

Births Sep 1924
Priest James Adams Stourbridge 6c 18

Births Jun 1935
Priest Alfred Adams Stourbridge 6c 64

peterd

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:03 am

The only one on Bcc...if it is her could be this one
http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... i=78904734
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:16 am

Also loads of connections on this lot that we could do with adding to Bcc
Priests
Adams
Siviters

if anyone has time and could put separate threads onto the BC genealogy section we could run with them.
Northern Lass

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:22 am

Would Worcester Archives cover Herefordshire

Jack give them a call they used to operate a service (the hub?) can't remember the name where you could order copies of stuff from them
worth giving them a call see what they could send you from the papers covering the crash.

Is anyone going to Worcs soon and could look up this crash for Jack please? :?
Northern Lass

Postby mallosa » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:33 pm

TumpJack wrote:Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anybody could help me out on this. My Great Great Uncle, Alfred Priest, died on the 24th May 1964 in a Car Crash in Aylton, Herefordshire and am looking for information regarding this.
He was born in 1935 in Cradley to James Priest Snr. and Elsie Adams. He had a brother, my Great Grandfather, James Priest Jnr. (1924-2013). Growing up he had a hard life, his father used to beat him, his mother and his brother in a drunken rage most days and made him quite a timid and nervous man because of that. He was conscripted into the RAF and after he served his time, he moved to Hereford, where he worked at the Green Dragon Hotel in the 50s and 60s. Whilst living there, he was taken in by a couple by a couple named Herbert and Eleanor Watkins of 6 Kings Arce Halt, Swainshill. Because of his horrible childhood, he grew to call the Watkins', mom and dad. He also was believed to have have a Mental Health problems and possibly Depression. The rumour in the family was that he killed himself when he died and hit a tree in Aylton, whilst driving his car. My Great Granddad passed away two years ago, so I can't ask him anything about Alfred and his daughter, my Nan, doesn't know much.
Also, another fact about him is that his name was Alfred, but went by the name John, whilst living in Hereford. I am looking for news coverage of his death in the newspapers from around that time and because I live in Dudley, Worcester or Hereford archives is a bit of a jaunt for me, as I don't drive yet. So would anyone be kind enough to visit the archives and see what they could find? I would like to know more about him and his life in Hereford and hopefully, the circumstances of his death. I will try and attach the only photographs I have of him to this, as well.

Many Thanks,

Jack Fern

Here you are Jack.....

Uncle Alfred.JPG
Uncle Alfred.JPG (45.25 KiB) Viewed 3499 times
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby BC Wench » Mon Jul 31, 2023 2:29 pm

Is this still a Brickwall, or have you solved it?

Unless otherwise advised this will be moved to the Brickwalls Archived section
within 24 hours.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Return to Archived Brick Wall Posts