Calling any Canadians with access to newspaper archives

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Calling any Canadians with access to newspaper archives

Postby YorksClare » Sun Apr 06, 2014 9:43 pm

I am posting this as somewhat of a long shot, but the story sounds really interesting so please bear with me. Hopefully someone else with an itching detective streak like mine will have the information access to do this!

I have been pottering through various lines of my family, which as most peoples' is rather rambling. It has so far taken me from the comfort of my seat to Autralia, America, Jamaica, Ireland, India and Canada. It is the latter which has brought up a rather intriguing story.

Marjorie Violet Botterill was born in Hull, England in 1908 and moved as a teenager to Canada in with her family, where they settled in Ontario. She and a couple of her sisters married fairly soon after the move, and Marjorie's husband was one Aubrey Grey Clark. She died in 1934, and according to the death records was the victim of a manslaughter. She was a waitress in a cafe, and her brother registered the death, not her employer or her husband. Which I find a little odd. The link if you have access to ancestry is here http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/8946/ ... turnRecord

The exact cause of death is pretty illegible. I think it says "bullet wounds, about abdomen" but it looks like "bucket woman, about jabwoman"! Even the word "manslaughter" has had to be clarified underneath in pencil in better handwriting...

So. Are there any Canadians out there with access to the newspaper archives from Essex, Ontario, from March 1934 who could find out who was accused of her manslaughter, and what happened? I cannot seem to even get started with this search, but if someone can find a link or starting point I would be very grateful.
YorksClare

Re: Calling any Canadians with access to newspaper archives

Postby DebSimpson » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:30 am

To whom this may concern,
I noticed this posting yesterday and would like to let you know that I am Marjorie Violet Botterill Clark's great niece. If you would like anymore information about her murder including the clippings, please contact me at: ........I'd be more than happy to assist your research. Deb

Note by mod ...email removed will poster please pm deb or will deb pm poster
we avoid emails on here as you are likely to get loads of spam if you post email.
DebSimpson

Postby Northern Lass » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:02 am

Hi Deb can you please pm your info in a private message to the poster
we don't post emails on the forum.

Many thanks :wink:
Northern Lass

Postby YorksClare » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi All

Deb got in touch with me by email and FB. We shared some really good info! Sorry to have taken so long to reply. :oops:
YorksClare

Return to Archived General Discussion