ARC Passenger list Australia emigration ship lists Melbourne

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

ARC Passenger list Australia emigration ship lists Melbourne

Postby colindavison » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:27 am

Are UK inward and outward passenger lists featured on Ancestry.co.uk incomplete? I know my errant and elusive grandmother Ethel McKinneley Davison travelled from Oz back to Liverpool in the 1920s, then left the UK again shortly thereafter, but despite exhaustive searches of the lists I've failed to find a record of either voyage.

This is despite finding the passages of all other family members who made the crossing between the 1880s and 1920s (including one journey in a German ship in which the names of young boys seem to have been randomly and wrongly recorded as "Adolf"). Ethel may have used her maiden name Williams, or middle name McKinneley, but searches under these and variants, and even simply Ethel with no surname have produced nothing.

This makes me wonder whether passenger lists from some ships are not included in the Ancestry files.

Strangely, Ethel's parents also disappear from records after she made her brief 1920s visit, with no UK death records for either. It's possible they may have left the country with her - her father had business links with West Africa - but again nothing on passenger lists.

Has anyone else encountered this issue with passenger lists. If so, I'd welcome any advice.

For background: My main interest is in Davison family, who in 1880s and 1911 emigrated to Australia, but who returned to Liverpool due to a business failure (a donkey farm swindle in NSW or Western Australia) or marital breakdown.

Best wishes,

Colin Davison
colindavison

Re: Passenger list Australia emigration ship lists Melbourne

Postby grangers14 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 2:47 pm

What year was Ethel born? And her parents names?
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby grangers14 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 3:05 pm

Its ok.
Ive just seen her marriage record,
Ethel born 1888, father Richard Williams married Robert John Davison 1911
Have you tried just using initial E?
grangers14

Postby Northern Lass » Wed May 18, 2022 7:04 am

This is quite an old post so have you solved it?
I will move to archived unlesss otherwise informed.
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion