Tennis Club - any ideas where it would have been?

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Tennis Club - any ideas where it would have been?

Postby mallosa » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:20 pm

Enquiry from Davidblackshoes (aka Amy )
I'm not sure exactly what year, but abt 1910/1920 - and assuming it's Warley itself (maybe someone would know where the Tennis Club or whatever it was played in that period)

gallery/image_page.php?album_id=54&image_id=7588
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Re: Tennis Club - any ideas where it would have been?

Postby mallosa » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:05 pm

Amy, I wonder if it was within Warley Woods Park cos amongst the postcards and photos you sent in (from the album) there is this one -

http://bcconnections.tribalpages.com/tr ... =223875762

and also one of Bearwood Road

'In 1914 the Abbey was used as a home for Belgian refugees. A number of features were added or donated to the park including an aviary, on the site of the car park by Abbey road, various drinking fountains, tennis courts and a bowling green. The Abbey was used as a popular tearoom for park users, and noted for its delicious cakes, which people would consume after a stroll around the rose garden. The Abbey also housed the golf professional who ran the public pay and play golf course established in 1921 on what had been the course of the private Edgbaston Golf Club'.

Scroll down to 1900-present

http://www.warleywoods.org.uk/about-the-park/17-2/
If you would like to have your ancestors photo's included in our Gallery, please send me a pm.

Researching: Evans, Rollason, Henley/Hendley, Brookes, Taylor (Wilson - Birmingham)
mallosa

Postby peterd » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:51 pm

The Tennis Courts
The land fronting on to Barclay Road between Abbey Road and Upper St Mary’s
Road was still owned by the Birmingham Freehold Land Building Society after
the rest of the park came into public ownership in 1906. A further campaign
to save it from being built on was launched, the money was raised and the
land was incorporated into the park in 1915. It was used as allotments during
the first world war and then it was set out as tennis courts.

The land beyond Upper St. Mary’s Road was used as a bowling green and both
this and the tennis courts were served from a thatched hut at the top of the
slope leading in to the meadow. The sports facilities continued until the early
1950s when beech trees were planted on the site and they remain to this day.
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby SRD » Sat Sep 21, 2013 6:43 am

Tennis must have been a popular pastime in those days, my grandparents met at one somewhere in the Old Hill/Cradley Heath area and the friends they made there remained friends throughout their lives.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby davidblackshoes » Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 am

Mally, thank you for posting this and thanks to all who helped identify the place.

That photo has the Dearnes in it (Maggie's kin), too.

Mally, I'm certain that these Dearnes in the photo, Lizzie and Harry (bro & sis) are the Lizzie and Harry Dearne here:

http://www.bcconnections.tribalpages.com/family-tree/bcconnections/276325/69613/Matilda-Price-Family
That makes them Amplias Price Hodgetts' (my gr grandmother) cousins - her aunt Matilda's children (Amplias' father Wm was Matilda's brother).
That's why Doris Cooper told her cousin Dorothy Hodgetts (Amplias' daughter) in the note on the reverse that "Auntie will know who they are".
The ages also fit when you look at the faces for approx age when the photo was taken (1910-1920)
Lizzie b.1883 and Harry b.1887.

These would connect with Maggie's Dearnes for sure.

I now have a possible connection to another photo (unidentified kin to the USA Hodgetts) and am going to look over the tree at BCC and try not to have my head explode hahaha

The Prices and Hodgetts look at this point to also be have married with each other in the generation before this i.e., Amplias' aunt Ann Price (Amplias' father's sister) married a Wm Hodgetts and Amplias herself married Harry Hodgetts.
I'll have to see if I can make a connection between those two Hodgetts men (I'm sure way way way back there is one, but will see if maybe they link up just a few generations back).

I need to catch up here! - I've been gone too long.
And I need to get more photos and more data to you (I'm falling behind getting what I have here to you).
Amy

Put this together quickly over at familyecho so you can see how they relate (it made my head explode until I put them all together on one tree)
http://www.familyecho.com/?p=L8GN4&c=ad3j1ph70b&f=520524305165857450
Click on William Price or Amplias and the Dearnes will show.
England - Black Country: Hodgetts, Price, Cooper
Oldbury, Halesowen, Warley area

Scotland & Ireland (Ballymena, Antrim): Bell, Knipe - Also McKee, Johnstone, Crawford, Neil
davidblackshoes

Return to Archived General Discussion