Charting all family members

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Charting all family members

Postby Hunter » Tue Sep 10, 2013 7:59 am

:P I have been trying to find/create a Family Tree Chart on which I can show every member of the family going way back. What I have found is that most pre printed charts only show spaces to enter Parents, Grandparents, Great Grandparents etc. There seems to be no chart available on which you can
extend to include all the children and their families if married. Do I have to create separate charts for this purpose. Online Family Charts do exist to do this but I want to be able to make. by hand, on a drawing board a complete chart preferably using one already printed so I can just fill in the names and details.
Does anyone know if such charts are available.
Martin :!:
Hunter

Re: Charting all family members

Postby snoopysue » Tue Sep 10, 2013 5:19 pm

Hi Martin
Welcome to the forum :-)
I've seen a chart in a book that had it the other way around - an 18th centuary couple and all their descendents. It started with the couple in a circle in the middle, and every generation was a extra ring, divided into the number that was required. For each generation the ring got bigger, and the number of descendents increased, although the divisions aren't equal all the way round the circle, as one decendent may hav had more children than another. Some would have had no children at all - it may work the other way around.
It was on a very big piece of paper, with very small writing!!
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby AndrewA » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:58 am

The type of chart you have found are called Pedigree charts, of which are numerous in style. Theses simply trace the lineage, every wealthy family would have had an amazing chart to show their pedigree, hence the name. One obvious use was when it came to finding spouses for the offspring to marry.

The type of chart you are looking for dosnt really exist and if it does it will simply be messy or a ocean of plain empty boxes and spaces, as each family grouping is totally different. What happens when you have a family with 16 children? or just 1 Child?

When you say you want to include "everyone" what do you mean by that exactly? Is this chart for just one family name, or are you wanting to show your whole immediate family, with all your Great Grand Parents and all their descendants? Are you planning to include spouses families as well?

It is possible to fit everyone on to one tree, but the chart can end up dozens of feet wide. This is taken fromMy-History Genealogy supplies and services. to show their family tree printing services.

You can use software to show you the layout of your planned tree but that might not be an option for you. There are numerours methods and "logical" approaches, to create these charts. One method is to write all names on a slip of paper then move them into position on back of wallpaper, or another idea is that you simply work the layout on a smaller scale by just using dots to represent each person.

It might be a good idea to plot out each family name separately rather than attempting the whole tree at once.

Whatever method you decide to plan your tree you need to work methodically and remember one golden rule, that you keep the same generations on the same level.
Hit a Brickwall? Have you lost all trace of someone? Do not despair, simply make a note they were abducted by aliens! Don't believe in aliens? No problem, just write them off as having disapeared in a time portal
AndrewA

Postby gardener » Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:57 pm

by gardener » Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:07 am
Hi
Here is one along the lines that Snoopysue mentioned. It is free but I have not downloaded it myself so I don't know if it works.
http://www.melickprofessionalgenealogis ... -template/
How many generations do you want to cover?

Edited: OK, re-read you post and I understand what you want. You might get some ideas from here http://www.melickprofessionalgenealogis ... gy-charts/
It would be huge though, and you would have to leave spaces to fill in later I suppose.
I have seen a semi-circular one which was done by hand, it looked very neat but didn't have all the extra offspring that you want.
Sounds like you will have fun! Have you tried Google Images as a way of searching? Put in Genealogy Chart Free and then click on any pics that look likely. If you find what you want you can tell us all!
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Return to Archived General Discussion