Baptisms

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Baptisms

Postby dudleytaylor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:27 am

can any one tell me why some baptisms have, no name of the child ,only the date ,and it reads " Parents did not stay for the Baptism " . I have come across this recently ,and wondered what circumstances this would be used . many thanks Dt
It's easy to stand with the crowd . It takes courage to stand alone
dudleytaylor

Location: Living in Worcestershire,Paternal Family from Dudley,Maternal family from Oldbury

Re: Baptisms

Postby Maths girl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 10:22 am

dudleytaylor wrote:can any one tell me why some baptisms have, no name of the child ,only the date ,and it reads " Parents did not stay for the Baptism " . I have come across this recently ,and wondered what circumstances this would be used . many thanks Dt

How sad -- sounds like baby was abandoned -- with the belief in baptism so important the authorities would probably have thought it was an essential part of taking care of it -- along with trying to absolve the sins of the parents.
Maths girl

Postby dudleytaylor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:48 pm

Awww , so they were little orphans . That is sad . Thanks Maths Girl :grin:
dudleytaylor

Location: Living in Worcestershire,Paternal Family from Dudley,Maternal family from Oldbury

Postby Maths girl » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:21 pm

dudleytaylor wrote:Awww , so they were little orphans . That is sad . Thanks Maths Girl :grin:

I don't know for sure -- just putting forward a possibility
Maths girl

Postby dudleytaylor » Fri Aug 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Thanks anyway , it must be something similar , or child that died . Either way very sad. Dt :-)
dudleytaylor

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Aug 02, 2013 6:21 pm

I have seen a few of these and sure Barb aka bc wench said it was somat else....but cant remember.

maybe left before paying? :?
Northern Lass

Postby dudleytaylor » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:33 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
dudleytaylor

Postby BC Wench » Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:09 pm

I'm not sure about the wording "Parents did not stay for Baptism" I don't think you had to actually pay for a baptism, but was expected to put some monies onto the collection plate. It could be that the parents left with the child before the vicar/curate got around to asking the information he needed which is entered into the parish register. I've seen notes written on the flyleaf and slips of paper left in the baptism register with information made by the vicar/curate which were never entered properly in the baptism register.
Researching: PARGETER, BELCHER, BRADLEY, DANDO, ROWLEY, ROWSELL
BC Wench

Postby dudleytaylor » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:20 pm

Thank you for the information B C Wench , very interesting , we found quite a few at the Hive . I left my husband to do the Baptisms ,and he was intrigued by them . :-)
dudleytaylor

Return to Archived General Discussion