Hunting For My Grandfather

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Hunting For My Grandfather

Postby DoctorWho » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:51 pm

I would like to learn more about my grandfather, but I have a few mysteries that need solving. I wonder if anybody could help:

1. My grandfather's parents died before he was ten years old which would place it between 1916 - 1926. That is all the information I have. I have done a death certificate search which comes up with 879 results. I can narrow that down to about 200 by certain differences (eg. different middle name; location), but 200 is still a lot of death certificate's to sift through. Any less obvious suggestions to how I can narrow it down further.

2. My father and my aunt vaguely recollect a sister for my grandfather. The distinctive thing about this mystery sister is that she supposedly had twins. The only sister I can trace died when she was four years old. Any suggestions on how to follow this scant breadcrumb.

3. My grandfather was born in South Wales in 1916 and was orphaned by 1926. Is there any way to trace his whereabouts after this date besides waiting for the 1931 census to be released? I would really love to know why my family left the beautiful coast of South Wales for a South London suburb.

4. My grandfather served in WWII as a driver. I have tried searching military records, but I can find no trace of him. Any suggestions here would be good too.
DoctorWho

Re: Hunting For My Grandfather

Postby Maths girl » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:39 pm

Hi Dr Who

Welcome to the forum

Your grandfather's marriage certificate may have his father's name on it -- unless it inconveniently states deceased!

if he was born after 1916 his birth certificate will have the mother's maiden name on it.==you could then trace a marriage back.

If sister was born near him in age again it is possible to find matching mother's maiden names.

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby DoctorWho » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:36 am

Thanks for the reply Maths Girl.

Maybe I should of said in OP - it was late, forgive me :) - but I have already discovered my grandfather's family tree back to the mid-eighteenth century. I am interested in solving a few mysteries about my grandfather like how and when his parents died; when and why he moved to London; and who is this sister my father remembers but knows nothing about?

In the meantime I'll try searching for mother's maiden name.

Thanks
DoctorWho

Postby Northern Lass » Fri Aug 02, 2013 11:01 am

can you post some names so we can look for deaths?
and as MG says mothers maiden name will be on after 1911 for possible sister?
Northern Lass

Postby gardener » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:50 pm

Could you find him on an electoral register? Starting when your father/aunt was born so that you have a place to begin, or from his marriage perhaps, then go backwards in the same area and see how long he was there?
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby DoctorWho » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:42 am

Northern Lass here are some names for you:

Great Grand Parents - John Richard Harry/Harris/Harries b. 1883 at Scurlage Castle, Glamorgan married Mary Ann Meyrick/Mayrick b. 1878/9 on 21 December 1905. Both deaths unknown but believed to be before 1926.

Grand Parents - William George Harris b. 5 December 1916 at Burry Head, Llangennith, Glamorgan married Elizabeth Turvey on 23 June 1945.

The only sister I've managed to trace so far is a Gwendoline Mary Harris b. 1918 d. 1922.

I'm currently looking up a Dorothy Harris born in South Wales whose mother's maiden name is Meyrick.

Gardener I've tried the electoral roll but I can't find a search engine that goes further back than 1980.
DoctorWho

Postby rockyfowler » Sat Aug 03, 2013 11:05 am

HARRIS, John Head Married M 56 1855 Road Repairer District Council Glam Llandewi
HARRIS, Mary Wife Married31 years F 52 1859 Glam Port Eynor
HARRIS, James Son Single M 26 1885 Assistant Lime Burner Glam Llandewi
HARRIS, George Son Single M 24 1887 Road Repair District Council Glam Llandewi
HARRIS, John Richard Son Married M 5yrs 28 1883 Farm Labourer Glam Llandewi

Scurlage Castle Reynoldston S O Glamorgan
County: Glamorganshire
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Aug 03, 2013 4:23 pm

Births Dec 1916
Harris William G Mayrick Gower 11a 2037

Do you have the marriage of JOhn Richard Harris and Mary Ann Mayrick?

not sure on these...
Births Dec 1915
HARRIS Cyril MEYRICK Pontypridd 11a 1210

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Births Sep 1919
Harris Edna M Meyrick Pontypridd 11a 1299
Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion