Gadsby in Derbyshire

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Gadsby in Derbyshire

Postby welshdragon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:44 pm

I received a lot of assistance when I first logged in several months ago, due to ill health I have not been able to progress further until recently. I have visited the records office for Derby CC in Matlock but unfortunately the period I am trying to gather information has copies of records that were involved in fire damage.
I am wondering if you could possibly assist or point me in a direction that may help.
My ancestor Robert Gadsby born 1791 in Cubley, married to Alice Grindy I have baptism and burial records his father is the first problem; Also Robert born 1762 I don't have any records except his baptism form showing his parents Ralph and Sarah, he was born in Snelston, married to Elizabeth (no surname) had 8 children and I have their baptism years. Second problem is his father; Ralph born 1716 married to Sarah Mellor but I think he was married twice, a lady named Ann he was married to for 3-4 years (I think).
I have visited the churches in; Snelston, Cubley and Edlaston and taken photos but the Gadsby name is a bit more common in this area near Ashbourne.
Any help would be appreciated
welshdragon

Re: Gadsby in Derbyshire

Postby gardener » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:52 pm

Did Matlock mention the Bishop's transcripts at all? They should have been made and returned to the Diocese so that even though the parish records are missing 1725-1770 then you might get what you want from the BT.
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... Derbyshire
Derbyshire Record Office reference D1178 has deposited registers Bap 1566-1672,1676-2005 Mar 1566-1672, 1676-1992 Burials 1566-1672, 1676-1944 Banns 1566-1672, 1676-1944

Gap in Bap/Mar/Bur for 1725-1770

Lichfield Record Office has deposited Bishop's Transcripts Bap 1673-1868 Mar 1673-1856 Burials 1673-1869

It might be worth asking Lichfield about the records, though I am surprised if they have not been copied for Matlock especially if some years are missing from the PR.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby welshdragon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 6:03 am

Hi

Matlock record office didn't mention Bishops Transcripts. They did say to get in touch with Lichfield or pay a visit, so I will do that as next step. Thanks for your help
welshdragon

Postby linell » Wed Jul 31, 2013 2:28 pm

Hi have you tried Genuki for Derbyshire, all sorts of information there on your Cubley, Snelston and Edlaston, including some Gadsby Burials. The above Villages are all south of Ashbourne now in Staffordshire:-

http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/eng/DBY/

HTH Linell.
linell

Postby welshdragon » Wed Jul 31, 2013 3:05 pm

I've booked a visit to Lichfield records office to view the Bishop's Transcripts for the missing period and going back to 1670's so hopefully if the Gadsby's didn't move around much, I will obtain more information
welshdragon

Postby welshdragon » Mon Aug 19, 2013 6:51 pm

Well I spent a day in the records office at Lichfield going through the Bishops Transcripts for Cubley, Snelston, Edlaston and Ashbourne. Although i had minor success I did not make much progress on the blanks previously mentioned. I have Robert Gadsby born Snelston 1762 and Burial 1818 in Cubley but cannot find trace of marriage to Elizabeth, I'm guessing between 1780 and 1788 when first child was born. All children were christened in Cubley.
Again any help would be appreciated
welshdragon

Postby gardener » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:30 pm

welshdragon wrote:Well I spent a day in the records office at Lichfield going through the Bishops Transcripts for Cubley, Snelston, Edlaston and Ashbourne. Although i had minor success I did not make much progress on the blanks previously mentioned. I have Robert Gadsby born Snelston 1762 and Burial 1818 in Cubley but cannot find trace of marriage to Elizabeth, I'm guessing between 1780 and 1788 when first child was born. All children were christened in Cubley.
Again any help would be appreciated

All I can suggest is that you use the list of places near to Cubley http://www.genuki.org.uk/cgi-bin/nearby ... ,PN=Cubley and work through it, bearing in mind that Robert had connections to Snelston as well.
The marriage may have taken place in Elizabeth's parish, or where they were residing at the time.
Derbyshire records office used to have an online map showing parish boundaries, if you can find that then you could tick off the ones you have already checked and see what is left.
It may be a case of never finding it but you could get lucky if you cross out what you have checked and work outwards.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby welshdragon » Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:04 pm

Thank you for that I will do what you suggest.
welshdragon

Return to Archived General Discussion