Family Story

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Family Story

Postby deecee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 12:00 pm

Hello, I have just joined to seek help in verifying a family story. Sadly the participants have long since gone. I have been told that my maternal grandfather, MAYBURY (Percy William) a partner in a butcher's supplies business in Liverpool around the time of the first World War, was convicted of tax evasion, did time for the offence but was subsequently given the King's pardon. The business was called P Maybury & Co as far as I know.

Can anyone give me some clues on how to validate this story. It came from my mother who was prone to exageration :wink:
Treachery and old age will always triumph over youthful enthusiasm.
deecee

Re: Family Story

Postby peterd » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:00 pm

do you have him in any of the census is he missing in any ?

do you have you dob for him
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby gardener » Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:35 pm

Try searching on here: http://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.u ... h/advanced
I put in maybury and tax in the all of these words option and then filtered the results using the year ranges on the left hand side but you can do various types of search.
This is one result:

LIVERPOOL PRISONER'S RELEASE
“... P. W. Maybury, who was sentenced Liverpool Assises last November for in connection with income-tax returns, when he was convicted ... ”

Monday 22 January 1917 , Manchester Evening News , Greater Manchester, England

You have to pay for the actual items but you could use the site to find what you want and then try an get it for free at a library or something.
"The present is the key to the past" - Charles Lyell
gardener

Postby deecee » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:03 pm

Many thanks for your help. Looks like there is some truth in the story after all :o
deecee

Postby grangers14 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Moving over to general section...
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:26 pm

There are several newspapers with the following article which must have been a press release.

"LIVERPOOL PRISONERS RELEASE
On Consideration of facts presented in a petition, the Home Secretary has released Mr. P.W. Maybury, who was sentenced at Liverpool Assizes last November for fraud in connection with income-tax returns, when he was convicted along with Alderman R.W.Stephenson."
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:48 pm

Dozens of articles about the court case from all over England. Private Message me with you e-mail address and I will send you some.

Basically Alderman Stephenson and Maybury were both qualified butchers who ran a business together at 127 Copperas Hill, Liverpool.

From 1909 to 1912 Maybury paid £250 tax per year for his part of the business.

Alderman Stephenson paid zero.

The tax inspectors estimated the tax should have been £1500 and Alderman Stephenson denied any knowledge of the shortfall.

It appeared Maybury was responsible for organising the taxes and should have realised the shortfall.

Maybury said he continually informed Stephenson of the tax shortfall and the companies accountant testified it was Stephenson's responsibility.

Stephenson countered that he always though is share of the profits was after tax.

On the 3rd November 1916 Stephenson was sentenced to 9 months jail and Maybury 6 months.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby deecee » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:05 am

Mark, many thanks. PM sent. David
deecee

Postby birdbrain » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:15 pm

You can get free access to the London Gazette.
www.london-gazette.co.uk

I put in your the full name in the advanced search with the exact phrase and a couple of things came up.
First that the partnership was dissolved (30th June 1916) and Percy would receive and pay all debts (Paper dated 17th April 1917)
Also a Notice to all creditors on his death in 1933 naming his executer as Emily Maybury.
birdbrain

Return to Archived General Discussion