John Smith

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

John Smith

Postby SteveTurner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:32 pm

Hi all,
I wondered if someone could give me a start on my grandfather.

Someone I know started me off in this game by finding my grandmother, Edith Evelyn Disney b.1911 and going back to her great great grandfather. I managed to go back one further just by searching on Ancestry with the help of my iPad App and GenesReunited. The latter helped as there's only 13 Disneys in the 1841 census in Derbyshire. Then I accidentally found a 7th or 8th cousin who happened to be researching her Disney family in Derbyshire, and she told me of a further 4 generations. I've also added many great aunts and uncles and cousins locally.

So now I want to start with my grandfather and am hoping that as he should be on the 1911 census, with one or more older siblings, that I will be able to get a fair bit with the above sites and BMD. At the moment I don't subscribe to any of them as money is an object.

I did a search on Genes and found a John Smith, born in Kingsbury (age 3) but living in the Basford district. Basford includes Ilkeston where he moved to age 6 months. My mum says her dad was from Warwickshire. I think that's him but can't get time to check at the library.

The information I have from my mum: date of birth 20/06/1907, oldest brother called William, youngest Stan, with Ruth and Eric. My mum thinks they lived on Belper Street, Ilkeston, Derbyshire.

Because my eldest uncle is John William Samuel, with John being after his father and Samuel after his mum's father, I'm guessing that William is my great grandfather's name. I've found a William Smith who died in 1933 (from my mum) in Basford records age 53, so he does fit the ages.

So could somebody please check the 1911 census for me and see if they find an entry that fits and give my the names and ages on it. Hopefully I can go from there.
Steve
SteveTurner

Re: John Smith

Postby sparkstopper » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:00 pm

Steve: Difficult to work out who you are looking for:
John or William.....Give us his :
Name:
date of birth:
Fathers name:
Occupation if poss.
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby snoopysue » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:01 pm

There is this one:

36 Belper St Ilkeston
William Smith, Head, Married, 34, Coal Miner Hewer, Woodville Leicestershire
Lydia, Wife, Married 12 years, 33, Polesworth Warwickshire
William, Son, 12, School, Tamworth Warwickshire
Sydney, Son, 10, School, Tamworth Staffordshire
Lizzie, Daughter, 8, School, Glascote Heath Warwickshire
Ruth, Daughter, 6, School, Kingsbury Warwickshire
John, Son, 3, Kingsbury Warwickshire
Phoebe, Daughter, 0, Ilkeston Derbyshire
Mary Ann, Daughter, 0, Ilkeston Derbyshire
Henry, Brother To Head, Single, 26, Coal Miner Hewer, Tamworth Warwickshire
Snoopysue

Logic merely enables one to be wrong with authority.
snoopysue

Postby grangers14 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I will move this over to the general section because you want info.
Jo:)
grangers14

Postby SteveTurner » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:40 pm

Sorry Sparkstopper I was after the info Snoopysue has given me. I was hoping that adding names and dates would let the Ancestry App find the census. When I start a tree with Edith Evelyn Disney and her date of birth then it finds the census and I can then add more names.

Snoopysue that's brilliant, thank you. My mum mentioned Lizzie but wasn't sure and she couldn't remember William (who died before she was born) and Lydia (except she had a rod of iron in her back) but Belper Street seals it. I shall enter the information and see where it leads me.
Steve
SteveTurner

Postby peterd » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:58 pm

do you have this marriage cert steve

Marriages Dec 1929
Disney Edith E Smith Basford 7b 502
Smith John Disney Basford 7b 502
A person should have an opinion on everything, It becomes tact whether you reveal that opinion or not.

http://www.deneview.co.uk/
peterd

Postby SteveTurner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:37 am

No I don't, petard but my mum knew her parents got married on 21st December 1929.
Steve
SteveTurner

Postby SteveTurner » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:30 pm

I put the information given by SnoopySue into the App and all it came up with was the 1911 census for Phoebe and Mary Ann, so the App is struggling to find William (my great grandfather).

Next job was to see if I could find the marriage of William and Lydia, assuming Tamworth where there eldest two were born and 1898-1899 for the 12 years marriage given by the census. BMD gave me Lydia Allsopp and then the App gave me 4 good hints, a couple give me siblings of Lydia that are the same has her own children. The only problem is BMD saying Allsopp but the censuses saying Alsopp and Allsop.
Steve
SteveTurner

Postby sparkstopper » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:36 pm

Census & Marriages often give different spelling of surnames:
Semper Paratus:
sparkstopper

Postby linell » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:33 pm

Yes Steve it all depends on who is doing the writing. You tell the Census Enumerator and the Parish Clerk your name is Allsop and they write it down how they think it was spelt. Most of our Ancestors were illiterate, my Nan was Worton, and that is spelt Whorton/Wharton/Warton even Wherton???

Linell.
linell

Postby SteveTurner » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:36 am

I've also seen it where Ancestry has the information wrong even though it still shows it as a possibility. For instance Hadsham for Hartshorn and Dunay for Disney. Because I was expecting to see the latter I could tell that's what it said.
Steve
SteveTurner

Postby Antie Em » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:42 am

Steve - I have Allsopps in my family and have found it on all records ie baps, births, marriages, deaths and census spelled Allsopp, with one or two l's or p's, also Alsup.
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby Antie Em » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:51 am

Found this on FreeBMD : http://freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl

William Henry Smith and Lydia Allsopp - married Dec Qtr 1898, Tamworth District
There's no place like home ......
Antie Em

Postby SteveTurner » Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:48 am

Thanks everybody. Although the census doesn't show his middle name, Henry, I've found a record of William H Smith died 3rd quarter 1933 age 56, which fits my mum's information that he died 3 years before she was born and his age on the 1911 census. I haven't yet been able to go back further on his side, but haven't had a thorough look yet.

However I'm confident that I've Lydia's parents, John Allsopp and Sarah Ann Shipley, and John's mother was called Mary.
Steve
SteveTurner

Postby SteveTurner » Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:44 am

Antie Em wrote:Steve - I have Allsopps in my family and have found it on all records ie baps, births, marriages, deaths and census spelled Allsopp, with one or two l's or p's, also Alsup.

My Allsopp's (so far) are from Polesworth in Warwickshire, Antie Em
Steve
SteveTurner

Next

Return to General Discussion