Your Family Tree Issue 16 Oct 2004

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Your Family Tree Issue 16 Oct 2004

Postby Maths girl » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:09 pm

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has a copy of this magazine - I am interested in the Shakespeare article that appears in it.

Maths girl
Maths girl

Re: Your Family Tree Issue 16 Oct 2004

Postby sp1 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:13 pm

I think I have it - I wrote one of the articles!
The article was a follow up to one in a previous issue.
I think I have copies of both.
sp1

Postby Northern Lass » Wed Jan 02, 2013 8:38 am

ooooh what did it say about the Shakespeares anything on the Woodside ones?
Northern Lass

Postby Maths girl » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:25 am

Northern Lass wrote:ooooh what did it say about the Shakespeares anything on the Woodside ones?

If sp has the article we can see! --
Maths girl

Postby sp1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:56 pm

It doesn't mention the Woodside ones.
The author of the article in issue 16 is a relative of Mathsgirl and Jimmy, being a grandson (I think!) of the (John?) Shakespeare who was Mayor of Rowley Regis.
Sadly, he is wrong regarding the parentage of his ancestor at the point where we are all stuck with this family, despite having the evidence, I have been to his house so I know he has this. His article claimed a close connection going back to THE William Shakespeare, but as he can't really prove anything once back about 200 years that's a difficult one! And, as he claimed Richard Shakespeare, one time Bailiff of Wroxall (Warks) was the grandfather of said William of Stratford he is also wrong - that I CAN prove: the good news is I am pretty sure he (Richard) is the ancestor of all of us on the forum who descend from the local Shakespeares.
I tried to point all of this out on my follow- up article in issue 18 but sadly they butchered it!!
Will get copies of both off to you soon.
Incidentally Michael Wood, in his TV series, and subsequent book, 'In Search of Shakespeare' made the same erroneous assumption about Richard Shakespeare - easy to prove that this is wrong.
Last edited by sp1 on Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sp1

Postby Jimmy » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:59 pm

Sp1
I totally agree with you.
Jimmy

Postby sp1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:03 pm

Jimmy, do you want copies, or do you have them?
Send me a pm with your email address if you want them.
sp1

Postby Maths girl » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:53 pm

sp1 wrote:It doesn't mention the Woodside ones.
The author of the article in issue 16 is a relative of Mathsgirl and Jimmy, being a grandson (I think!) of the (John?) Shakespeare who was Mayor of Rowley Regis.
Sadly, he is wrong regarding the parentage of his ancestor at the point where we are all stuck with this family, despite having the evidence, I have been to his house so I know he has this. His article claimed a close connection going back to THE William Shakespeare, but as he can't really prove anything once back about 200 years that's a difficult one! And, as he claimed Richard Shakespeare, one time Bailiff of Wroxall (Warks) was the grandfather of said William of Stratford he is also wrong - that I CAN prove: the good news is I am pretty sure he (Richard) is the ancestor of all of us on the forum who descend from the local Shakespeares.
I tried to point all of this out on my follow- up article in issue 18 but sadly they butchered it!!
Incidentally Michael Wood, in his TV series, and subsequent book, 'In Search of Shakespeare' made the same erroneous assumption about Richard Shakespeare - easy to prove that this is wrong.

Thank you -- I look forward to seeing both sides of the argument -- I believe I can learn from how people went wrong as well as how they got it right! --I suppose it is the teacher in me!

Maths girl
Maths girl

Postby Northern Lass » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:13 am

which John is it sp1 so we can have a look at them on Bcc

do we have this Richard on Bcc? if so can we add in Richard?
Northern Lass

Postby Maths girl » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:48 pm

Northern Lass wrote:

which John is it sp1 so we can have a look at them on Bcc

do we have this Richard on Bcc? if so can we add in Richard?

I think the John is actually the son of this Joseph and then Ray is John's son
Maths girl

Postby sp1 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:12 pm

I think you're right MG! - have you met Ray?

Haven't forgotten about sending copies off to all of you, just need to find time!
By the way, there was a similar article by Ray in the Black Country Bugle a few weeks before the Family Tree Magazine appeared.
sp1

Postby Jimmy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:45 pm

I remember reading that.
Jimmy

Postby Maths girl » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:52 pm

sp1 wrote:I think you're right MG! - have you met Ray?

Haven't forgotten about sending copies off to all of you, just need to find time!
By the way, there was a similar article by Ray in the Black Country Bugle a few weeks before the Family Tree Magazine appeared.

I suspect I have at a family wedding/funeral but he would have been one of many names that you are introduced to at those occasions but cannot place later. -- he used to live next door to my mother when he was younger.- if I have my family tree right in my head.

I heard about the Black COuntry Bugle series of articles too but am still trying to find that too -- you don't have copise of them I suppose?
Maths girl

Postby sp1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:15 pm

I am sure I have the Bugle article, but finding it is a problem at the moment!
Don't the Black Country Bugle have it, or the archives at Dudley (Coseley!)
May have it?
sp1

Postby Jimmy » Fri Jan 11, 2013 8:37 am

Last edited by Jimmy on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimmy

Next

Return to Archived General Discussion