That Oakes pest requires help!

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

That Oakes pest requires help!

Postby Kleftiwallah » Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:49 pm

Dear all,

Am I right in thinking that by looking up the marriage certificate of William Oakes of Camberwell and come up with Dec 1871 1d 1077, and looking up the name of his wife Emily Bayliss and also come up with Camberwell Dec 1871 1d 1077,
that they are the persons married to each other at that time and place?

Could someone help me by telling me the other information on the marriage certificate to ensure I'm on the right path?

Cheers, Tony.
Kleftiwallah

Re: That Oakes pest requires help!

Postby grangers14 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:02 pm

I will move this over to General section because we just offer advice here and not give info.

from Ancestry London Marriages

5th November 1871. St Giles, Camberwell
William Oakes, of full age, B, Boot Maker, Asylum Road, William Oakes, Boot Maker
Emily Bayliss, of full age, S, Commercial Road, John Bayliss, Turner
Banns
Both signed
Witnesses, John Bayliss, S? Dorkin
grangers14

Postby Kleftiwallah » Tue Aug 21, 2012 2:21 pm

Thanks graingers14. Thanks for the guiding light.

I was just about to say ditch that previous plea as this information is only available on the marriage certificate itself so I will have to put my hand in my pocket.

So, for future searching, the question is where did you find this information? Is this from the marriage list available from Ancestry? If so I'll go and register with Ancestry.

Cheers, Tony.
Kleftiwallah

Postby grangers14 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 3:36 pm

Yes ancestry have quite a few parish records for the London area.

Saved you some pennies! :grin:

You can subscribe to Ancestry or use pay as you view, theres a few options.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby SRD » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:24 am

Kleftiwallah wrote:Dear all, Am I right in thinking that by looking up the marriage certificate of William Oakes of Camberwell and come up with Dec 1871 1d 1077, and looking up the name of his wife Emily Bayliss and also come up with Camberwell Dec 1871 1d 1077, that they are the persons married to each other at that time and place?
Could someone help me by telling me the other information on the marriage certificate to ensure I'm on the right path? Cheers, Tony.
If you are using FreeBMD to look up a marriage, say for William Oakes and you get the entry Dec 1871 1d 1077 if you click on the page number (1077) you can get anything up to a dozen names. Some male, some female and some that are different transcriptions of the names there. If you are lucky there are only two, 1 male and 1 female which are likely (but not definitely) to be the married couple. If there are more than two you have to be able to work out which belongs to which. Census info can help as can a look at the page on which the marriages are recorded, or you can order a copy of the certificate from the Registry Office using the name (William Oakes), the quarter (December 1871), the folio (1d) and page number (1077). As has been said, some of the Genealogy sites (like Ancestry, FMP, the Genealogist, Genes Reunited etc.) have parish lists on them, most have the census, and don't forget that most libraries have Ancestry for free. But it's also worth trying the LDS https://www.familysearch.org/ but be careful, some of the info on the LDS has been submitted by people who are trying to prove links that are inaccurate. There are other places, especially local councils, who provide Parish Register info but quality & coverage is patchy.
Going back to FreeBMD, sometimes you'll be unlucky and there won't be an equal number of males & females, this can happen if there is an error in the index itself (you've seen the photos of the pages of the index) and sometimes the person who copied the lists gets it wrong and the folio or page number are typed inaccurately, occasionally it can be worse (I've recently found an example where Frederick was transcribed as Francis). There are ways to search the index sheets using areas and folio & page numbers but that's probably a bit complex at this stage.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby linell » Wed Aug 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Think we should all pay homage to the good people who freely gave up their time to Transcribe Free BMD, we all owe them bucket loads of gratitude. Linell.
linell

Postby Kleftiwallah » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:22 pm

I shall certainly drink to that. :-) Cheers, Tony.
Kleftiwallah

Postby grangers14 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:42 pm

Feebmd is better than it was, the first lot of things I tried to transcribed with terrible images and now they have others, its much better.
And some I got terribly wrong!
Also the bold print shows it has been re checked. It does also show what percetage has been transcribed for that time.
If there is an odd number of people and not transcribed with an alernative name spelling, may be it hasnt been transcribed right or not transcribed yet or area and or volume and page number dont match.
It is an on going project.
Others things for free and also done by Volunteers is
http://www.freecen.org.uk/ (For Census)

http://www.freereg.org.uk/ (For Parish records)

There are also other Parish records online if you search the county. May be lucky.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby linell » Thu Aug 23, 2012 5:45 am

Didn't know you were one of the Transcribers Jo, not surprised to hear that though. :P Big thanks to you and all the others who generously give their time best wishes from Linell.
linell

Postby SRD » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:07 am

linell wrote:Didn't know you were one of the Transcribers Jo, not surprised to hear that though. :P Big thanks to you and all the others who generously give their time best wishes from Linell.

I heartily agree, and we should all do our bit by sending in corrections etc. when we come across errors.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Return to Archived General Discussion