Shropshire Section??

Completed discussions and topics. All topics are locked on archive. Please contact a forum moderator if you'd like a thread reactivated.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Shropshire Section??

Postby sp1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:32 pm

Apologies to NL for posting this here - if it is in the wrong place please move it.

However, I feel that this is an appropriate place as it is inevitable that if you have Black Country ancestry you also have Shropshire ancestry - probably due to the mass migrations here from Shropshire during the late 18th and first half of the 19th centuries due to the change in work patterns during the industrial revolution.

My own ancestors have been mainly from the Black Country for as far back as easily available records go, but there have been a few 'intruders' from Shropshire along the way! Curiously there have been few from other areas (just as well as we don't want any 'Brummies' in our tree! - curiously there have been few migrations into the area from places like Warwickshire - Northern Worcestershire I can understand but again not much activity apart from movement from places like Belbroughton, Bromsgrove etc towards Stourbridge (Old Swinford) - possibly explained by the vicar of Clent at one point also being vicar of Rowley Regis and insisting marriages take place at Clent.

Many of the villages in Shropshire were very small - as an example Wem was one of the bigger ones with a population of around 2000 in About 1800. Makes you wonder when you look at Dudley when the vicar records in the register around 1813/4 that he baptised over 300 children in ONE day!

Additionally, and you may be interested to know if you don't have them, most of the registers published by the Shropshire Parish Register Society are now out of copyright and available on the Internet - I can post links if that is appropriate....(there are also some Staffordshire ones eg Rowley Regis and West Bromwich among others)....

Perhaps another tree is needed ......'Shropshire Connections'???????
sp1

Re: Shropshire Section??

Postby Northern Lass » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:30 pm

If we have an ancestor who is born in the BC area but going back his parents are from Shrops
we do add him to BCC......as we have one foot in the BC so going back is ok.
As is going forward.

So if the BC ancestors are Born in the Bc but then they move and their kids are born in Shrops
that is ok to add too.

Does that help? :?
Northern Lass

Postby grangers14 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:12 pm

You could start a Shropshire tree sp1! :grin:
Shropshire Sprigs!

If you have some links post them in the links area and I will add them.
Jo :)
grangers14

Postby sp1 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:38 pm

Northern Lass wrote:If we have an ancestor who is born in the BC area but going back his parents are from Shrops
we do add him to BCC......as we have one foot in the BC so going back is ok.
As is going forward.

So if the BC ancestors are Born in the Bc but then they move and their kids are born in Shrops
that is ok to add too.

Does that help? :?

Hadn't realised this!
sp1

Postby MarkCDodd » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:43 am

Three major branches of mine, Homer, Ford, Cutler, have been Black Country for at least 400 years.

The 4th major branch, Dodd, was one of those families that went from farmers, gamekeepers, Ag Labs in Shropshire to miners and factory workers in the Black Country.

It is a common migration and one that is rather sad in a way.

Such a huge transformation in how and where they lived.
Black Holes happen when God divides by zero.
MarkCDodd

Postby sp1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:21 am

MarkCDodd wrote:Three major branches of mine, Homer, Ford, Cutler, have been Black Country for at least 400 years.

The 4th major branch, Dodd, was one of those families that went from farmers, gamekeepers, Ag Labs in Shropshire to miners and factory workers in the Black Country.

It is a common migration and one that is rather sad in a way.

Such a huge transformation in how and where they lived.

I have also noticed (and you can only do this with a name that is not to common) that the migration was not always in one go - you can see them moving along following the course of the River Severn, or one of the major roads over the course of years so they were obviously following work.
sp1

Postby SRD » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:54 am

That's something I've noticed with my Sussex Hillmans; Ag Labs becoming Railway employees and following the railway lines.
Currently investigating the Hillmans of Sussex.
SRD

Postby Northern Lass » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:23 am

I am adding this here too as it is very helpful if anyone googles and gets this thread.

sp1 wrote:Shropshire Parish Registers.

The registers printed by the Shropshire Parish Register Society are available here:
http://www.melocki.org.uk/MelockiSalop.html
These are in a very useful format as they can be searched using the 'find' feature of your browser.

If you want them in pdf, text, or mobile device formats they are also available on:
http://archive.org/
- just type Shropshire Parish Registers in the search box.
arhive.org also has some registers for other counties - eg if you type Staffordshire Parish Registers in the search box it comes up with West Bromwich, amongst others.
also has the following parish registers:

Staffordshire
Penn
West Bromwich
Rowley Regis

It also has some other interesting items such as:
Visitation of Staffordshire
Visitation of Shropshire
Attwood family (history of)

Northern Lass

Return to Archived General Discussion