Parish records

Main forum for discussion of Genealogy topics across the Counties and elsewhere.

Moderators: grangers14, admin, Northern Lass

Parish records

Postby Katykat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:26 pm

I have James Butler possibly 1774 married Sarah Lear in 1807 in Wolverhampton St Peters according to Wolverhampton history.org. However, it doesn’t detail where James was born or parents names. Is there any parish records that might give me more information?
Katykat

Re: Parish records

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:20 pm

The records at that time only gave limited info the law for registration (GRO) came in 1837
This record only shows as follows

3 Dec 1807 St Peter Wolverhampton
James BUTLER opt Bachelor and Sarah LEAR opt Spinster
By Banns The Marks Of Both
Wit; John Dean / Joseph Wainwright

Kind Regards RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Katykat » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:30 pm

Thanks RF, that’s the same information I got. Couples listed above & below them have places that they came from or both from this parish but not this couple.
Katykat

Postby rockyfowler » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:22 pm

They are both otp - Of This Parish as the others Kind regards RF
“You know you’re getting old when you stoop to tie your shoelaces and wonder what else you could do while you’re down there.” ― George Burns
rockyfowler

Postby Katykat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:19 am

Oh, both from Wolverhampton? That’s intersting. I’m trying to map their residence and the first child I can confidently attach to them was Thomas b 1818 ( my ancestor). But it seems unlikely that they wouldn’t have any children between 1807-1818. However, there are some children born during that time in Haughton, Staffordshire and also a James Butler b 1774 in Haughton. I assumed that this was the same couple, having married in the brides church but lived in Haughton where the groom lives & works. Then moved to Wolverhampton where the later ones were born.This seemed to fit, as the James listed on the Haughton children’s birth was a butcher and also on the later children’s births. Think I need to do more research. Where did you get those records from RF?
Katykat

Postby rockyfowler » Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:51 am

Parish records can be seen at Local archives these were at Stafford some records are now on some subscription sites
a lot of people lied so were not born in the parish so always question everything :wink:
rockyfowler

Postby Katykat » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 pm

Ah, that makes sense. My dad “ lied” when I got married. According to my marriage certificate he was an engineer when in fact he was a wire drawer. I.ll look more into the Haughton angle.
Katykat

Return to General Discussion